4006 Sup Eng III as a Default Gateway?


I need to use a 4006 switch as my default gateway and would like your advice on what would be a better practice:

  1. Use the IP that is already on VLAN1:

int vlan1 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

  1. Configure one of the interfaces as Physical Layer 3, put IP on it, and use it as a DG.

int fa3/35 no switchport ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

If #2 would be the better choice, which interface would normally be the one to pick for that purpose? Example: fa1/13 is connected to the inside port of my PIX and traffic goes out to the internet from there. Is fa1/13 the one i need..?

At the moment my PC is the only one pointing to the 4006 as a DG, using its vlan1 IP and it is working fine...

Thank you, Todd

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Usually routed ports are used to connect to other network devices such as routers and L3 switches.

Usually PCs would be connected to ports that are part of a VLAN.

Of course there is no reason why you could not connect a PC to a routed port on your switch.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.