switch/stacking question

Hello, I have a question about stacking/joining together some 3com superstack2 3300 switches.

I have configured the stack of 4 with a stack card in the first switch (the base switch) connected to the other 3 via matrix cables.

You can only stack up to 4 switches.

I also have another stack of 4 switches.

My question is the best way to join the 2 together (they are on the same lan).

I could just put a crossover cable between the 2 base switches, but this means that if the base switch died then the other switches in each stack would not communicate with each other.

If I put a crossover cable between each of the switches in each stack (as well as the matrix stack setup) then would this create a broadcast loop/storm?

What would be the bet way to join them together?

Thanks Chris

Reply to
chris-c
Loading thread data ...

To break the loop you could use the standard spanning tree or the

3com proprietary resilient link feature.
Reply to
Manfred Kwiatkowski

Make sure each stack has a 3300SM, and use a MTRJ-MTRJ multimode fibre cable.

-- Chris Hills IT Services North East Worcestershire College

Reply to
Chris Hills

Thanks, is that some sort of card? Do you mean each switch in the stack has to have one of these or just one. Im trying to get around the single point of failure in case the base switch (with the stack card in) in the stack fails.

Ideally I would configure a trunk of 4 ports across the 4 switches in the stack to connect to the other stack but found out you cant do this (you can only make a trunk on the physical switch - not across different physical switches)

Reply to
chris-c

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.