2924 console questions

Have three switches, WS-C2924M-XL-EN, each with a console cable attached, can't get one of them, SW1,to respond. All running 12.0(5)WC17

SW1 WS-X2931-XL WS-X2931-XL | | FC FC | SW2 | SW3 WS-X2931-XL Empty WS-X2931-XL Empty

Comparing the configurations I can't see any difference all the cables are attached to a Xyplex 1620 and moving them around I can confirm the ports and cables are all good. Any thoughts on how to get the console to respond?

Second question, the connections are using 1 GBit Fibrechannel, I tried to connect SW1 to SW2 using Gigastack, and on SW1 both cables had green lights but on SW2 only the left one was green the other was amber. What are the possible causes for such behavior?

TIA Tom

Reply to
Tom Linden
Loading thread data ...

Did you cable the Gigastack GBICs in the prescribed manner ?

see Catalyst Switch GigaStack Configuration and Implications

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

formatting link

No, I did not. Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Linden

Download Simple Terminal Gold which display the RS232 signal leads in the top right hand corner.

connect console directly to PC with Cisco console cable

DSR comes from switch; if it is not green the console port is hosed

Reply to
Merv

Finally got around to trying it and on the switch for which it works, RTS, DTR & CTS are lit (and the rest are black). On the switch giving me problems, CTS is not lit.

So is the console port bad? If so, can it be (easily) replaced?

Reply to
Tom Linden

I would say the console port is bad.

Not unless you know a really good bench tech that will do it for free.

Reply to
Merv

I didn't say, free, I wondered if it was a module that could be replaced, as opposed to a soldered component. Oh well, I can still telnet to the switch.

Reply to
Tom Linden

The components for the console are all soldered to the motherboard.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.