monitor spanned port from dual NIC'd fedora machine

i would like to monitor traffic on my 2950 switch. i have set up port 1 (the downlink from router) to span to 24.

will monitoring port 1 effectively monitor all on the switch, or should i select them individually? i did this in the 2950's GUI.

also, i want to monitor via an ssh session to a linux machine (having 2 nics) one plugged into 24, and the other to a live port (so i can access it remotely via ssh, because span disables the traffic on port

24 (e.g. although i can ping the interface from my workstation, i can't ssh into it). i don't have console access or a monitor on this linux machine.

is this doable? both nics are on the same subnet in the linux machine. do i need to do anything to the routing table? i can ping both interfaces from my workstation, but can't ssh - though i can xdmcp into it ... (broadcast?)

and when i tcpdump to one interface, i see just the connection from my workstation to the linux box, when i tcpdump to the spanned interface, i seem to be able to see the traffic on the different ports of the switch, which is my aim.

thanks for insights on being able to ssh into the live connected port, s7

Reply to
starman7
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com skrev:

Monitoring port 1 will show you all traffic through that interface. If you have traffic going between two hosts connected on two diffirent ports you will not see that traffic. If you are only interested in the traffic leaving your network this would be fine, but to see all the traffic you would need to monitor the vlan.

What I would normally do is disable ip on the monitoring interface. This to prevent it from generating its own traffic then showing up in the dump.

This would also make it possible to connect through the other interface with ssh. This should be possible even though you have an IP address on it but you might need to tweek the setup to force it to use the "right" interface for outbound traffic.

Disabling IP on the interface would be the cleanest setup I think.

Hope some of this made sense :)

-SAto

Reply to
SAto

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.