Small network setup at a datacenter facility

Hello,

We are planning to get a rack at a datacenter and get our own 100Mbit ethernet uplink from 2 providers.

Provider #1 - Cogentco.com - cheap bandwidth, main provider of IPs Provider #2 - Datacenter - Expensive bandwidth backup

I would like to be able to run BGP. However, this is a 10 server setup, I don't have the funds to purchase one of those new $5,000 cisco switches that will do Level 3.

Are there any retired switches from Cisco/Juniper that will allow me to run BGP and VLANs at a very low entry cost (sub $1,000) thinking of getting it used at ebay. Some people have recommended me the 48 port Cisco 3550 EMI version for this. I don't know what will happen if I need more than 48 ports (servers have 3 network drops each, one for KVM 1IP, one for Remote Power Management, and a server uplink to the internet).

I would really appreciate any suggestions. Even if there is a cheaper choice not from name brands I will research if you give me a model # and make.

Thanks

Reply to
Gio-PC
Loading thread data ...

How many rack unit dedicated to the network you have? Maybe a rack server with Vyatta

formatting link
onboard for bgp and a catalyst for vlan/server uplink?

Bye Guercio

Reply to
guercio

Hi,

Currently 10 machines will be moved over, we are looking at Cisco

3550 EMI (however, it cant handle FULL BGP due to Memory limits).

I was recommended the 2924-XL-EN as a switch for servers. I have read about Vyatta, but how reliable would it be if my two BGP peers are connected to 1 computer, with a single point of failure? Even with a

1U chassis with Dual power supplies.

Thanks

Reply to
Gio-PC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.