VPN Installation Time Frame

Questions for all you Cisco techs in here. Whats your timeframe as to setup a remote to site vpn connection? Im asking this because we hired a consultant to do this setup and it took him 4.5 hours. Any inputs on this would be great. Thanks.

Reply to
dizzl3
Loading thread data ...

Depends on the complexities involved. Equipment at each end, software versions, IP addressing, number of sites, having to deal with other vendors etc etc etc. 4.5 doesn't seem that bad, I've had turnups that were

20minutes, I've also had turnups that took more than 2weeks due to having to deal with idiots.
Reply to
Brian V

May I enquire how much said consultant was paid? so I may drool and study harder ;)

Reply to
daytime

Well in all honesty it depends on each situation.

I set these up quite a lot - If you use the PIX wizard, in theory, it can take as little as 20 mins, but in reality you may have other firewalls to configure, routes need adding on core routers etc, so, it really does depend.

Cheers

James

dizzl3 wrote:

Reply to
James

Well the setup was just for one remote client thats working at his house to connect to his office pc. Due to ISO regulations that required a VPN connections due to the sensitivity of the data that was coming through. So as far as the complexities of the setup I dont know. But we did get a bill for $540 for 4.5 hours of work = $120phr. We will pay the bill of course :) I should have paid attention in my Cisco class at school. Wait I did but they didnt teach us about setting up VPNs..

Reply to
dizzl3

may drool and

That sounds pretty good to me ;) I will have to swot up on VPNs

Reply to
daytime

Perfect example for the consultants standard response "it depends". If the consultant had to package the VPN client, and/or provide instructions on its use, then determine routing procedures for traffic to hit the internal PC, then create the access-list(s) to ensure that's all that could be reached, 4.5 hours was probably OK. I try to estimate a minimum of 1/2 day for every "new" config especially with a new client. If it's less, then I bill less. It's when it takes longer that it's a pain...

Reply to
lanwanman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.