Sybex or Cisco Press?

I'm looking to get my CCNA and CCNP certification this year. I'm not sure if I should get the Sybex or Cisco press books.

Cisco Press is probable more in depth but would the Sybex books be sufficient?

Any advise from CCNA's and CCNP's will be appreciated.

Thanks Albert snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEabsamail.co.za

Reply to
Albert Truter
Loading thread data ...

For CCNA, the Sybex book explained subnetting much better in my opinion. The author seems to know how to communicate in a more lucid fashion.

I remember when I was first learning the subnetting, I tried Cisco Press, and that worked pretty well, but after reading Sybex, I was able to, as they say, "subnet in my head".

I would recommend both ... the cisco press covers everything ... sybex is very good in some areas, but not all encompassing. besides ... it's always good to learn from multiple sources.

Reply to
markrohlf

I always bought the Cisco Press so the material followed the exams as closely as possible. I haven't tried yet any Sybex books so I can't really compare. Cisco Press worked for me (CCNA-CCNP-CCIP) so I can't complain.

Also it looks good to have a row of Cisco books on your bookshelf. ;)

-Danny

Reply to
Danny Muizebelt

I used sybex for CCNA and was very pleased with it. They give very good questions/answers with lots of practical hands-on-lab tests. I've since bought cisco press for the CCNP and am not so impressed. Very few hands-on-labs, not very many questions and written in an unimaginative and unfriendly manner. Several mistakes too, but there is a newer version out. If you can afford it get both.

Reply to
John Smith

I would say if you can afford it get both. Its good to read about a subject from different authors. Some explain it better than others and their style maybe suited to you. Its good to re-enforce the subject by reading about it twice in slightly different words.

From my experience, some of the Cisco Press are a bit formal and dry to read. All the information is there but its presented to you in a robotic fashion and it gets a bit boring after a while and you lose interest. I would say read Sybex first and then Cisco Press next.

Beez

Reply to
Beezneez

Audio practices are a great way for anyone looking to get certified, and to do it in a very easy way. I have used it to obtain my A+ and CCNA certs. Now I am working on my Security+ Cert. Check it out:

formatting link
Just click the link and check out the site. There are resources for all of the exams! You will thank me later.

Good luck on the certifications!!!!!

Reply to
Akinkawon Frierson

I would agree. I recently recerted my CCNP using just the Sybex books and while I passed I felt they omitted a lot of stuff that came up in the exam and also practical stuff you really should know. I've read the Cisco books and they are hard going they have a lot more depth than is needed for the exam.

My advice would be read the Sybex books, do some Boson practise exams, get a feel for what you dont know and then either look it up on the web or buy the Cisco books.

Joe

Reply to
joseph stevenson

Audio practices are a great way for anyone looking to get certified, and to do it in a very easy way. I have used it to obtain my A+ and CCNA certs. Now I am working on my Security+ Cert. Check it out:

formatting link
Just click the link and check out the site. There are resources for all of the exams! You will thank me later.

Good luck on the certifications!!!!!

Reply to
ted

Reply to
ted

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.