Switch diffrences?

Hi there can someone tell /explain the diffrence between a Catalyst switch and other types please? Also DCE/DTE- Is there an easy way of remembering which is which? TIA :-)

Reply to
greg johnstone
Loading thread data ...

Can't speak to the switch differences, but DCE is the "clocking" end of a connection. Easy to remember by the C in the middle...

Try here for a basic explanation.

formatting link

Reply to
Rick N. Backer

Thanks for that-the link was really helpful

Reply to
greg johnstone

"greg johnstone" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

What other types of switches are you refering to?

The biggest difference (and most important) between DCE and DTE is DCE provides the clock rate. It's easy to remember since DCE is the only one with a "C" in it and "clock" begins with "C." Not sure if you were looking for something that simple but that's how I remember the difference between the two.

Reply to
Paul

Glad to help.

Reply to
Rick N. Backer

What other types of switches are you refering to?

I have heard of Catalyst (which I understand to be made by Cisco , and if they have the correct ISO image they can function as routers) Is there any other that I need to learn about?or does the CCNA only really deal with the aforementioned. btw The C for clocking has helped out a great deal thanks.

Reply to
greg johnstone

A switch doing routing is what's known as Layer 3 switching. Most common when you have VLAN's configured and you need to route between VLAN's.

Reply to
Rick N. Backer

Gotcha!, I also had a question that I wasnt sure of on the end of semster exam- Which cable do you get with T568a on one end and T568b on the other- is this a rollover?aka console cable? Thanks.

Reply to
greg johnstone

Instead of going into a long answer regarding your question, check the link below. It'll tell you more than you'll ever want to know about cabling, pinouts etc...

formatting link

Reply to
Rick N. Backer

Found these links for you to. Should be very helpful.

a.. ITNW 2313 - Networking Hardware (LAN Hardware/Wiring & Installation)

formatting link
a.. ITNW 1325 - Fundamentals of Networking (Cisco CCNA Curriculum - Semester 1)
formatting link
a.. ITNW 1392 - Beginning Router Configuration (Cisco CCNA Curriculum - Semester 2)
formatting link
a.. ITSC 1391 - Internetworking Technologies (Cisco CCNA Curriculum - Semester 3/4)
formatting link

Reply to
Rick N. Backer

Thats very good of you all, many thanks , they should keep me busy for a while!

Reply to
greg johnstone

Good luck! And once you get everything figured out, they'll change it... lol

Reply to
Rick N. Backer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.