Some question before I go down the CCNA route

I've doing computer system support for 5 years. Want to get into networking. But should I get Network+ or CCNA? I browsed though Network+ material. I knows most of it. Believe I can pass it pretty easily. I also thumb through some CCNA book. Other than OSI, TCP/IP and subnetting, I don't know most of it. So my question is

1. Why getting CCNA certification? How useful can it be for me to get a networking job?

1. Say I really know everything a CCNA is supposed to know (not at CCIE level) and am good at it, roughly what salary would I make? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

2. Do other companies make routers? How do they compare to Cisco?

I have to say that I don't like company-specific certifications. Hate the idea working for their product but not getting paid by them. That's why I never went for MCSE.

Reply to
Dandelion
Loading thread data ...

You answered your own question. Our work here is done.

Reply to
Melvin

CCNA never got me a job. Looks great on paper but unless you have the "hands on" to back it up...(and are very very lucky and someone will give you a break) all you can expect is a certificate.

Same as my physics degree doesn't make me a physisct...and never got me a job as one, either. All I got was a certificate proving that I could answer whatever questions were presented to me on that particular subject on that particular day.

It's a catch 22 situation. You should really be working in Cisco enviroment to get certified...but to work in a Cisco enviroment, well... you should be certified.

IMHO, the only people making money out of certifications are the vendors & trainers.

Reply to
Smudge Smith

Depends where you want to work. If they use Cisco equipment, then it would be very useful. If they don't use Cisco equipment it wouldn't be useful at all except for the networking basics like IP addressing and how routing works.

Somewhere between $0/year and $100,000/year depending on your location, the company you work for, and your ability to do the job.

Yes.

I would venture to say Cisco is more or less the king when it comes to networking equipment right now.

Then save your money.

Dave

Reply to
David Casey

That was my personal favorite question.

Reply to
Melvin

Mine too! Would YOU hire a networker that had to ask that?

me either.....

Reply to
dwilson

I think it could prove very useful for getting a better job. To a potential employer this shows that although you are doing fine in your current job you are taking steps to improve yourself and learn more. I would also say that the CCNA academy course is an excellent building block to a networking career. You will learn some things which only relate to cisco but mostly it is very general and can be applied in any networking job. Employers do not necessarily know this so to them it can seem like a certification on some proprietary equipment but when you get to interview stage you will know what you are talking about and can easily impress them with your thorough knowledge. Please note I am now talking about doing the whole CCNA 1-4 curriculum, in an academy, and doing all the case studies and taking all the chapter exams. Only that will give you a really solid foundation.

I guess that depends on where you live? I would say networking knowledge is important in just about any IT job... Per Hansen

Reply to
Per Hansen

Seriously my favorite tooo.

-Ralph: [whispering] Lisa, what's the answer to number seven?

-Lisa: [whispering] Sorry, Ralph. That would defeat the purpose of testing as a means of student evaluation.

-Ralph: [pauses] My cat's name is Mittens

Melv> >

Reply to
justin_ltg

Reply to
gregg johnstone

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.