CCNA

I'm over 50 and I don't take tests as well as I used to. Several years ago I failed 640-801by 2%. I knew the material well but I could only finish about 2/3 of the exam when I ran out of time.

I wonder if now that Cisco has broken the test up into two pieces if you folks think it might be easier to finish in the alloted time.

Reply to
Bob Simon
Loading thread data ...

I feel that if you know the material, it is easier to take one test than to take two tests. I encourage you, if you feel that you know all of the material, to take the traditional single CCNA exam.

Go to Cisco's website, go to Training & Events, then the link for the CCNA exam in the middle of the page. This information is shown: 640-802 CCNA 90 Minutes (50-60 questions) OR 640-822 ICND1 90 Minutes (50-60 questions) 640-816 ICND2 90 Minutes (50-60 questions) Looks like you have two ways to get the CCNA. If the difficulty is sitting for the whole test length, just go do it once and schedule yourself for

640-802. If you were within 2% of the passing score, you might as well re-learn some of the material and try again.

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

is there any benefit of taking one exam versus to?

Is taking the first CCNA exam make a person eligible for internship?

If a person has a degree in Computer Information System (knows academic level programming) but have no industrial experience, is CCNA certification enough to look for internship? Does one needs A+ certs? Also, I heard that having MCSA and CCNA both will make one able to find a job? Is that so?

Reply to
cisco.student.777

BENEFITS OF CCNA TEST OPTIONS There is a cost savings by taking the single CCNA exam instead of taking the two part ICND exams. Each test is still $150 USD and they contain the same number of questions. It is less expensive to take the single test for the CCNA at $150 USD instead of a total of $300 USD for the two ICND exams for the same CCNA title.

INTERNSHIPS Internships are offered by companies using their own guidelines for considering candidates. It is not a standard that having a CCNA makes a person a better candidate for an intern position.

COLLEGE DEGREE A college degree always helps. The only exception is that if you have a PhD and want to work for minimum wage, the hiring manager might ask if the job is really right for you. A computer related degree helps you, but does not mean you are locked into that career field. I have worked in the information technology (IT) field under managers with bachelor degrees in history, art, and various engineering degrees. When you apply for a job, the degree itself, no matter what it is in, makes you better than a candidate without a degree. A college degree demonstates achievement but also means that you passed classes in basic math, communication, written comprehension, and possibly basic business courses. This combination of basic business understanding along with a demonstration of achievement benefits you.

CERTIFICATIONS FOR YOUR RESUME It is a simply concept in resume writing: show what is pertinant to the job, not a lot about other things unrelated to the job. It shows hiring managers that the skills for the job are what you do the best, no matter how much resume paper you use to demonstrate it.

If you are intending on working in the data networking field, specifically with Cisco systems, do not pursue the A+ and Network+ certifications. Concentrate on the certifications for the job that you want. If you had a valid Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP) certification and perhaps one or two jobs showing a year in the field, you would probably get hired with those credentials alone.

If you are intending on being an all-around technican for Windows servers, Cisco data networking devices, and PCs, then get a combination of Microsoft certifications (perhaps a MCSA) and Cisco certifications (perhaps a CCNA and a CCDA).

If you want someone to tell you what to do, then finish your degree (no matter what it is in), study only for data networking certifications (Cisco/Juniper/Nortel), work for a year or two anywhere in the IT industry, then get a job in data or voice networking. It pays better and is less of a headache than PC and server work because data and voice engineers are harder to find than PC and server engineers.

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

Thanks so much for the explanation. This is the first time I get some useful information about the specifics of Cisco. It helps me to get some idea what route I should focus on.

I'd like to respond to what you wrote by addressing your last paragraph. BTW, I feel very encouraged to stick to this field if the age (and being a female) is an issue. I hardly look over 30 but I am a little over 40s spending most of my 30s being sick ( for being at the wrong place) though successfully obtained a degree during that time. (I did a master's in Computer Info systems because it's just easier that way since my undergrad was from another country and I didn't want to have to take undergrad courses such as US history, US government, etc. to meet the requirement plus do transcript evaluation to get credit for math, etc. (I read history and stuff on my own as a hobby and would find it annoying to have to study.) Coming from a non IT- undergrad degree, I had to take a lot of foundation courses such as two programming languages, data structures and database (though the professor of that course was terrible and I didn't learn the data structure part much while I was able to compensate for the database part by taking a grad course I had to take plus an oracle class I took at a community college).

I am so grateful of the way you explained about "the data networking field" versus "all-around technician for Windows servers, Cisco data networking devices, and PCs". I definitely would like to avoid being a technician person. Frankly, if I were not too traumatized mentally after physically recovered form the effects of mold exacerbated by my breast surgery, I would have started certs in Cisco earlier. Well, there were other issues in the family making me to try to leave the state, feeligng desperate to stick to what I knew htough not too skillful, i.e.programming.

When you say anywhere in the IT industry, can you give me some specific what kind of work I should look for especially with my degree 5 years old though I kept myself not getting away from the field?

I tried doing internship (in IT helpdesk) at a state agency because I needed $$ and I lasted 2 months. No problem with my performance but problems with the environment I was in: Two of the students were fine but the two two guys were acting bossy - one was a former classmate at the community college I am taking classes and other had just graduated with a degree in Geography but had been working there for a while. The first guy had been there for two years and was not moving onto taking classes at the university level - he has ADT - and treating me like he was my superior while the other one would play music at his desk and yet would find fault with my accepting a cell phone calls. Needless to say, didn't take it pointed out his hypocrisy unlike the other two brothers where were Computer Science students. The boss was never around btw. Also, I could tell that I wasn't going to learn much there anyway.

Frankly, I don't want to be that kind of environment and so I am not interested in an internship with state agency anymore though I am desperate for some $$ to survive. Beside, most state agency probably would not want me anyway because of my computer degree seeing me as a someone who would not stay there for long. I could skip my computer degree on the resume and just write down things I know but I am not sure it is wise if they rate the pay based on transcripts

Signed up for substitute teaching - I also have a master's in a non It field though science - and trying to sign up with another district so that I when I try for unpaid internship, I will have flexible schedule.

I am glad to hear the scarcity of data and voice engineers but one question: Is my being a female a potential obstacle? What about age?

I guess, after I start my Cisco classes - starts next week - and learn more about the related key words, I should put them on the resume as learned those topics, removing stuff that shows my programming languages I know and the software testing tools I was trained a little bit in, etc. May be I should even leave out my other master degree (it's hard core science where I wrote a thesis) since it is unrelated to what I seek unless writing thesis would be seen as a related skill. But then, I did a lot of projects in CIS degree and I am very good with documenting.

Well, my goal is to find some work once I get CCNA (combined with my degree in computer info systems which is from a good university) but I am willing to do unpaid intern to get my foot in the door. I guess, I need to have a CCNA, not just the first part of it, to even find an internship, right? I'll just take the one exam since I am too tight with money anyway and also will need to move right after I take Cisco classes level 1 and 2 this fall so that I will be situated before the next semester starts for Cisco level 3 and 4.

Again, thanks a lot for the info. I would like to get your opinion on the question I asked about being a female and age issue plus some specifics what I should look for in IT industry in the beginning stage. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
cisco.student.777

Scott, your post was helpful to me as well. I start my first networking course tonight. I plan to take the CCENT at the end of that (late Dec., early Jan.).

The next set of courses then goes from Jan-April. I'm not sure I want to wait that long to go for my CCNA. I'm thinking these first courses will get my feet wet and get me started. I'll probably try to self-study and fast-track to get the CCNA sooner than April.

I'm just finishing my first course here:

formatting link
I took the first course in the Information Security program. They gave me a hard sell on getting a grad certificate in InfoSec (6 courses = $12,000), then pursuing the Master's Degree. I've been waffling, because I'm not so sure a grad cert is going to be worth the paper it's printed on.

Instead, I'm thinking of going with the degree, with a concentration in InfoSec (4 courses for the concentration). Do you think the Network & Communications Management program is a good way to go?

What I really want to do is get a job with tuition reimbursement and go from there. I really need a paycheck and some benefits, and I'm at a loss for good advice on what to do.

I have an EE degree, and am totally unable to find an engineering job so far, because I've been out of the field for 11 years.

Reply to
Mitch

Ok, reply to both/all following:

Tech schools offering certificates suck. They cost about as much as college tuition and leave you with a certificate that nobody really recognizes. Colleges with classes accepted by other colleges are the way to go. Find out what other colleges will accept transfering of classes and credits. DO NOT ask the tech school this question - ask another university if the accept credit from where you are considering. If your local university does not accept classes and credits from the technical school you are considering, then do not waste any money. That includes places like ITT Technical Institute, TechSkills, and anywhere that takes your money for classes that do not count towards a university degree. You can get a single certification class at a college without being a degree seeking student.

If you have a college degree that another college would recognize, then you are doing good. I do not care what it is in or how old it is. A bachelor degree is good no matter what it is in. A masters degree is better, no matter what it is in. I don't care if you have a 4 year degree in art appreciation, you will get a job in the IT/MIS industry if you have certifications and some experience. I got hired as a network engineer several times with a high school diploma and a Cisco plaque. Point made.

This is America. Employers will not care if you are male or female. However, they will care if you bring too much of your personal life into the workplace. Get things worked out and put some faith into the EEOC.

Here is my recipe:

1) go to library

2) check out any of the following:

- Cisco Press CCNA by Wendel Odom

- Exam Cram Cisco CCNA book

- Sybex or any other Cisco CCNA book

3) read the entire book

4) post messages online asking for clarification on topics

5) THEN look into getting practice tests, lab equipment, or GNS3

6) schedule CCNA exam through Vue testing and take test

7) repeat step #3 through #5 until successful

8) apply for a data networking job and get hired

9) plan vacation

Total cost, if done correctly: $150

Please note that these steps need to be followed in order. Please do not ask how to get hired before reading an entire CCNA exam guide or asking about exams after the CCNA like the CCNP, CCSP, CCVP, or CCIE without first passing the CCNA. If you have no Cisco certfications, then you need to get your CCNA or move to a different career field.

People! You need to do your research! Get a book! Begin your research!

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

First, thanks for such pertinent and useful info. As the , I heard about unpaid internship and I to search for that once I get my CCNA.

It's being worked out: Though it took trial and failure these past 4 years, I have successfully cut umbilical chord with oldest sister as of late last year; was just feeling extremely bad about not giving myself priority and wasted my time doing things for her (big and small).

Thanks. I think that I should leave out my previous master's degree from the resume for IT job and may be Bachelor degree (in the same field as of that MS degree) as well since I finished my BS at 20.

Thanks. I'll follow this recipe religiously.

Got the message. First get CCNA.

Thanks.

Reply to
cisco.student.777

I started my Cisco course at my local community college last night. I love it. The material is online, and it's the official Cisco Network Academy courseware. There's a 2-hour lecture, followed by labs. The lab is a room full of Cisco switches and routers.

Plus we get a 70% discount on the exams.

My only problem is the pace. The semester only covers up through CCENT. I wish it was twice as fast, because I can't wait until next April to get a paycheck. So I guess once I get a feel for things, I'll have to self-study and move ahead of the class.

But it's a good start. Wish I'd done it a year ago.

Reply to
Mitch

Congratulations, Mitch! I am very glad to hear that you have combined training, college credit, and certification all into one option. I hope that you will consider eventually getting an associates degree or transfering the general classes from there to a four year college or university. The tuition at community colleges is usually cheaper but maintain all acreditation for transfer of classes to larger schools. There is no waste of your time and money if you want to continue. Ask many questions about "how" or "why" things work in your class. Get the best understanding of how the lower layer protocols of the OSI operate as best as you can. Networking deals with OSI layer 4 and below, so learn why ethernet and TCP/IP work the way that they do. Good luck learning IP address subnetting - just remember to multiply and divide by 2 and you are set.

I am curious as to what equipment the college offers in its labs. Cisco

2500 series routers and Cisco 1900 series switches are old, outdated, and not anywhere reputable in the business environment. I hope they are offering at least Cisco 2600 series routers and Cisco Catalyst 2900 series switches or better.

The CCENT is a new certification title below the CCNA. If the CCENT is just one test and the CCNA can be taken as just one test, I always thought that a person who had hands-on time, even in a lab, should just go for the CCNA. Think about that as the class draws to a close. You might consider scheduling yourself for the 640-802 CCNA instead of the 640-822 ICND for the CCENT. They cost the same, have the same number of questions, and build off of the same general topics. A practice CCNA test from the back of a Cisco CCNA book at the library will help show you if you are ready. Every major library has at least a few Cisco books, even those from Cisco press printed in Indianapolis, IN. See how well you do without paying a practice test website.

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

Since I already have an engineering degree, if I want to get the associate's in IT, I'd just have to take an accounting course. I have all the other gen ed.

I saw stacks of 2600's, and some others that the prof said were Cisco's top-of-the-line.

I can't wait to understand all of this stuff. I wish I could just cram it all in.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm chomping at the bit, and I think the course is going to follow a "no child left behind" pace. :-)

Reply to
Mitch

Well, Chapter 2 now hits the OSI and TCP/IP models, and it's pretty dense. I would expect half the students to drop the course this week and give me some quality professor-time. :)

Reply to
Mitch

The agreement that Cisco Networking Academies (which have to be not-for-profit organisations) have with Cisco is that academies are not to compete directly with Cisco Learning Partners, commercial businesses - hence the longer time periods.

Also which stream of Academy courses are you doing - CCNA Exploration or CCNA Discovery? Be aware that only the first first two Discovery courses, "Networking for Home and Small Businesses" and "Working at a Small-to-Medium Business or ISP" map to the requirements of ICND1/CCENT. And then courses 3 and 4, "Introducing Routing and Switching in the Enterprise" and "Designing and Supporting Computer Networks" map to ICND 2.

The Exploration courses - Network Fundamentals Routing Protocols and Concepts LAN Switching and Wireless Accessing the WAN are technology based and only directly match the requirements of the 640-802 CCNA exam.

Aubrey

Reply to
Aubrey Adams

Our courses are Exploration.

Reply to
Mitch

Thanks for explaining the difference between exploration and Discovery courses.

Reply to
cisco.student.777

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.