router to practice for CCNA/CCNP

I took a class about a while back for the 607 CCNA exam and came within a hairbreadth of passing twice on the test. Since I couldn't afford to take the test anymore I let it slip. I am now picking up the certification. I am aware that the test has changed slightly and is now issued under a new number. I am hoping to purchase a used router or two, probably off ebay, so that I can actively practice as I relearn the material. Can anyone suggest a good router that I can get at a reasonable price?

Things to know:

1. I would like to be able to use the routers to study for the CCNP exams as well.
  2. A reasonable price for me would be about 200$ max. But that is not set in stone.
  3. I would probably be pursuing other security certifications both CISCO and non-CISCO.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help.

--Ari W. ari_winokur at comcast.net

P.S. please directly e-mail me besides posting to the group.

Reply to
ari_winokur
Loading thread data ...

Sounds similar to my predicament. I had the class & books for the 640-607 exam then wound up taking the 640-801 exam and got high failing scores (twice).

I purchased 3 Cisco 2501 routers, a 1900 switch and cables on eBay for around $600. I also updated my books to the current Cisco Press Self Study for both 640-821 (Intro) and 640-811 (ICND) exams. I've completed the Intro training and have purchased my exam voucher.

Plan to take the Intro exam but... DANG!!! I just got a job as a LAN Admin/Network Engineer & start in 2 days. I've vowed to complete the CCNA. New employer also wants the MCSE. My overall goal is to get PIX security certification. I have many years viable work experience, a master's degree but few tech certs.

Make sure your routers have IOS 12.2 and should have 16/16 MB RAM/Flash. Need serial and ethernet (AUI on the older routers) ports. The 2501's will work but are s-l-o-w.

Reply to
Cisco Kid

"Cisco Kid" kirjoitti viestissä:O4qdnfvGiooAnWfenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

In CCNP you can use older routers but you sure need a switch that is able to route between VLANs. And that would be for example 3550. That is in CCNP3 switching. In our labs we used routers from 2500 series to 2600 and mostly

3550 switch.
Reply to
LNL

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.