QoS questions

Hi

I understand with "standard" QoS, you would map and match relevant traffic, and then set an attribute such as IP Precedence.

For instance, supposing I wanted to set QoS for TFTP traffic, I would enter the following in global config mode;

mls qos access-list 101 permit udp any any eq tftp class-map tftp match access-group 101 policy-map precedence class tftp set ip precedence 5 interface range fa0/1 - 10 service-policy input precedence

Couple of questions;

a) On ACL 101, do I not need to enter 'permit ip any any' at the end because of the implicit deny at the end, or because the ACL is just to match a class of traffic is this unnecessary? b) If I wanted to configure similar for VoIP, how would this be done? Does VoIP have a port number (searched, but can't find), or can I type along the lines access-list 101 permit tcp any any eq voip (I get an error on my switch)?

Using auto-QoS, according to the Sybex book I could enter;

mls qos interface fa0/1 auto qos voip cisco-phone

But will this actually give VoIP any priority over other traffic?

Thanks.

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe
Loading thread data ...

No, You do not need. ACL "access-list 101 permit udp any any eq tftp" is ONLY for QoS purposes to match traffic to QoS class. All traffic except ACL 101 do not match to class tftp and does not get proper precedence but it is still allowed to go through interfaces fa0/1 -

10!

Maybe this will help You a little:

Voice payload:

class-map voip match protocol rtp audio match ip rtp 16384 16383 match ip precedence 5

Router#show auto qos ! ! First ACL matches Voice payload, second match Voice signaling ! ip access-list extended AutoQoS-VoIP-RTCP permit udp any any range 16384 32767

ip access-list extended AutoQoS-VoIP-Control permit tcp any any eq 1720 permit tcp any any range 11000 11999 permit udp any any eq 2427 permit tcp any any eq 2428 permit tcp any any range 2000 2002 permit udp any any eq 1719 permit udp any any eq 5060

Regards, Wlodek

Reply to
Everyman

Thanks...so if I wanted to give voip traffic priority, would you recommend the QoS commands you mention above, or the implementation of a Voice VLAN?

formatting link

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.