Help with Vlan trunking across a p2p t1

Hello,

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for me as I seem to be swimming in possibilities, but not sure of the correct path to follow to achieve the desired outcome. We are implementing a VOIP based PBX system in our main location. The Voip system and IP phones at the main location will be communicating on a dedicated VLAN within the existing network but will all be part of a non routed network segment. We also have a remote location that will be connected by a point to point T1 which will be also utilizing IP phones. My question is this. Can I have the IP Phones at the remote location participate in the same vlan that the main location will be using going over the point to point t1? I have come across bridging and irb, but I am not totally sure that it will do what I am looking for. I do have a test environment to play with, so any suggestions I can quickly apply them and test them out. My only other question (as of right now) is what the best way to facilitate working with voip across a point to point line, whether to keep the voip traffic segmented in it's own vlan and pass that back, or whether it is more advisable to just route it across the point to point and route it when it gets back to the main network. I am not sure what limitations there are with bridging and if you can still do QOS across the point to point line.

Thanks,

Ted

Reply to
elementaladmins
Loading thread data ...

I would create a new /x network in the new location, route it, and just create the new segment in call manager or whatever you are using. Trunking l2 across a t1 is usually not a good idea in my opinion, for various reasons from broadcast traffic, to not being well- planned for future expansion, etc. Give it its own range, and that way you can always add more later and not have to re-address or get into trunking, etc. You can also then keep QoS as you need it, as well as l3 redundancy via something like isdn or dial if you needed it.

Reply to
Trendkill

Reply to
Thrill5

Thanks for the advice both of you guys and I will abandon the effort to extend the network across the point to point line. I can find a lot of information on QOS with regard to a network, but not about running qos across a point to point (and 2 routers). Are there any special caveats to keep in mind when setting this up or things that just won't work?

Thanks,

Ted

Reply to
elementaladmins

I am using a policy map across a point to point to route voice traffic.

on main office router:

class-map voice match access-group 105

policy-map voip class voice priority 96 class class-default fair-queue

interface Serial0/1 /* to our warehouse router via 1.54m t1 */ service-policy output voip

access-list 105 remark VOIP (SIP/IAX/IAX2) traffic gets top priority (5) access-list 105 permit udp any any eq 4569 access-list 105 permit udp any any eq 5004 access-list 105 permit udp any any eq 5036 access-list 105 permit udp any any eq 5060 access-list 105 permit ip host 10.0.0.254 any access-list 105 permit ip any host 10.0.0.254

Reply to
turnip

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.