Dynamips / Dynagen GUI for Windows

Hi,

you're probably familiar with this router emulator. My question is, is there a GUI for Windows? Something for making your own lab topology? Thanks.

Reply to
SS
Loading thread data ...

The config file is very easy to use and the documents reasonable clear. I understand that there is a GUI but I don't know what is does or what platforms are supported.

Here is a complete *.net file for a 5 router lab that I used for some OSPF work.

You only have to specify a link once which is nice.

The files below are the total, complete and exact config. It really is VERY easy to use.

The only issue that I had was memory. I would suggest trying a

3600 first since you can have more routers on a single PC that way I would guess. Also only use the IOS that you need.

# Simple lab

# # \\Device\\NPF_{0325987F-4C34-4972-8F1C-CD3708}: Compaq Ethernet/Fast Ethernet Adapter/Module (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) # \\Device\\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562F}: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Driver (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)

[localhost] [[7200]]

idlepc = 0x6096da00 image = \\PROGRA~1\\Dynamips\\images\\C7200-IS.bin # On Linux / Unix use forward slashes: # image = /opt/7200-images/c7200-jk9o3s-mz.124-7a.image npe = npe-400 ram = 160

[[ROUTER R1]] s1/0 = R3 s1/0 s1/1 = R2 s1/1 F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:\\Device\\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562F} [[router R2]] # No need to specify an adapter here for s1/1, it is taken care of # by the interface specification under Router R1 s1/0 = R4 s1/0 [[router R3]] s1/1 = R4 s1/1 s1/2 = R4 s1/2 s1/4 = R5 s1/4 [[router R4]] s1/5 = R5 s1/5 [[router R5]]

########################## ########################## Here is another config with a frame relay switch too. Uses 2 PCs to distribute the simulation load. No it's not but just by changing the IP Address it would be. It is to run two instances of dynamips on one PC to work aroung the Windows 2G per process meemory limit.

# \\Device\\NPF_{0325987F-4C34-4972-8F1C-CD37}: Compaq Ethernet/Fast Ethernet Adapter/Module (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) # \\Device\\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562}: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Driver (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)

[localhost] [[7200]]

############ begin ############ idlepc = 0x60848a38 image = \\PROGRA~1\\Dynamips\\images\\C7200-JS.124-8a.BIN # With mem=160 has 62M free, 47M largest on unconfigured boot # with OLD dynamips # # Can't get 5 instances with 160 DRAM now. 110 OK. # Got 6 instances with 120. ############ end ############

############ begin ############ # idlepc = 0x6096da00 # image = \\PROGRA~1\\Dynamips\\images\\C7200-IS.124-8.bin ############ end ############ # On Linux / Unix use forward slashes: # image = /opt/7200-images/c7200-jk9o3s-mz.124-7a.image npe = npe-400 ram = 120

[[ROUTER R1]] s1/0 = F1 1 s1/1 = R2 s1/1 # F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:\\Device\\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562} F0/0 = R3 F0/0 [[router R2]] # No need to specify an adapter here, it is taken care of # by the interface specification under Router R1 s1/0 = F1 2 F0/0 = R4 F0/0 [[router R3]] s1/0 = R4 s1/0 [[router R4]] [[router BBR1]] s1/0 = F1 3 [[FRSW F1]] 1:102 = 2:201 1:103 = 3:301 2:203 = 3:302

# [[router R6]]

############################################################# # To use second Dynamips instance : Not necessarily local?? # #############################################################for

# [localhost:7201] # Workaround to allow comms with second Dynamips instance # to evade running out of 2G address space issue. # start /belownormal /min "Dynamips" "dynamips.exe" -H 7200 # start /belownormal /min "Dynamips" "dynamips.exe" -H 7201

# udp = 11000 # This set uses base of 11000 instead of default 10000

Reply to
Bod43

Hi SS,

Dynagui

Graphical front-end written by Yannick Le Teigner.

It uses Dynagen to communicate with the hypervisor.

formatting link
Dynagui is a GUI frontend to the dynamips Cisco 7200 router simulator.

It uses the dyna-gen library in order to communicate with the dynamips hypervisor.

It is currently alpha software, and comes with a lot of bugs.

Many features still need to be implemented in order to be fully useable (delete nodes/links, remove PA, etc...)

Comments, requests, bug reports are all welcome on the Dynamips GUI Frontend Forum:

formatting link

-----------------------------------------

Dynagen - The Dynamips Configuration Generator

formatting link
Dynagen by Greg Anuzelli, is a front-end (written in Python) that makes lab simulation with the hypervisor very easy: it uses an INI-like configuration file to provision Dynamips emulator networks.

It takes care of specifying the right port adapters, generating and matching up those pesky NIO descriptors, specifying bridges, frame-relay, ATM switches, etc.

It also provides a management CLI for listing devices, suspending and reloading instances, etc.

You can also distribute virtual instances across different servers to set up complex labs.

To begin with Dynagen, you can consult this very complete tutorial, Dynamips / Dynagen Tutorial:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese

2007 Cisco Salary Rates
formatting link
Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Its aweful and dont think it runs on Windows.

Reply to
Freeride

There's DynaGUI but it's in early development. It's written in Python. Link is

formatting link

Honestly, I think if you check out this quick start guide you will see that you don't need a GUI. The lab topologies are simple texts files.

formatting link

Reply to
The Man

Yes, I see now. I'll use config files instead. Thanks

Reply to
SS

The GUI for Dynagen, tried it out on Linux and did not work to well. Not worth the effort.

Reply to
Freeride

Hi SS, Need assistance, am having problem working with my dynamips and dynagen. When i try to run the bin file along with your sample configuration below and tried executing Telnet R1it gives me an error that there is an unknown CPU Card type. What causes this error? Thank you...

Connected to Dynamips VM "R1" - Console port #############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################[OK] %%Unknown CPU card type ROM: reload requested....

Dynamips server message warning that: VM 'R1' : no physical page for CPU0 PC=0x0 VM 'R2' : no physical page for CPU0 PC=0x0 ... ... VM 'R5'..... Configuration:

# Simple lab

# # \\Device\\NPF_{0325987F-4C34-4972-8F1C-CD3708}: Compaq Ethernet/Fast Ethernet Adapter/Module (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) # \\Device\\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562F}: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Driver (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)

[localhost] [[7200]]

idlepc = 0x6096da00 image = \\PROGRA~1\\Dynamips\\images\\C7200-IS.bin # On Linux / Unix use forward slashes: # image = /opt/7200-images/c7200-jk9o3s-mz.124-7a.image npe = npe-400 ram = 160

[[ROUTER R1]] s1/0 = R3 s1/0 s1/1 = R2 s1/1 F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:\\Device\\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562F} [[router R2]] # No need to specify an adapter here for s1/1, it is taken care of # by the interface specification under Router R1 s1/0 = R4 s1/0 [[router R3]] s1/1 = R4 s1/1 s1/2 = R4 s1/2 s1/4 = R5 s1/4

[[router R4]] s1/5 = R5 s1/5

[[router R5]]
Reply to
sygonia

#############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################[OK]

You probably tried to load an old image on a NPE-400. That would do the same on a real box...

Reply to
Christophe Fillot

Christophe,

All I can say is, dynamips is a truly fantastic piece of work of yours. It has done wanders to my study.

Keep up the excellent work.

Regards

Christ>

#############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################[OK]

Reply to
James

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.