Difference between GBIC and Giga Ethernet interface

Hi all,

I will connect 2 switchs catalyst (2950 or 2960) by STP by Giga interface.

For this need, generally, i use GBIC interface and its work fine.

Today, a lot of catalysts are provided with Giga Ethernet interface (RJ45) like catalyst 2960.

If i use this port (Giga Ethernet interface) to connect the two switchs, what will be the differences ?

So, i juste need to understand what differences btw Gbic and Giga Ethernet interface and what is the best choice ?

Thank You very much !!!

Best Regards Rahan

Reply to
Rahan
Loading thread data ...

I'm not an expert but I think GBIC enables you to cover a greater distance. If your link length is less than that specified for Gigabit Ethernet you can use Gigabit Ethernet. We're using GBIC to connect 2 switches located in 2 different buildings. Maybe we could do the same with Ethernet. If your switches are quite close each other you don't need to move to GBIC.

Alex.

Reply to
AM

distance. If your link length is less than that

Maybe we could do the same with Ethernet.

Thanks a lot Alex.

Can someone confirm that distance is the alone difference ?

In technology fibre (Gbic or Mini-Gbic), two cables (fibres) are used. I think that one is used to transmit and the second for receive data. If it's true, using Gbic or Mini-Gbic (SFP) can increase bandthwith performance.

i am not sure. i don't know.

Any confirmation ?

Thanks a lot

Best Regards Rahan

Reply to
Rahan

your link length is less than that

Maybe we could do the same with Ethernet.

1000BaseTX is 1000BaseTX whether on GBIC or not.

However - be aware than not all ports are created equal however I think that on your particular platforms that there will be no difference.

On a 4500 for example the Supervisor engine ports each have a dedicated 1Gbps to the Switch fabric and many line card ports do not.

Even copper ports nowaday run really clean. Here is the first one that I looked at:-

Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet Port, 8415914730 packets input, 4343581946310 bytes, 0 no buffer 1389 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

The input erriors are due to congestion since this port contends for the backplane.

Reply to
anybody43

With a "1000BASE-ZX" you'll get up to 70km ...

formatting link
as opposed to 100m with the "1000BASE-T SFP" ...

formatting link
Other relevent data sheets ...

formatting link
BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Thanks a lot for yours answers.

So, the connector of SFP port is RJ45 ???!!!

Can you confirm please ?

Rahan

Reply to
Rahan

No, SFP is not RJ45. SFP stands for "Small Form Factor". In that SFP port you could put a fiber or RJ45 gbic in it.

Reply to
Brian V

"Brian V" a écrit dans le message de news:UsidnabLju1GXkTZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

so, when you said "you could put a RJ45", you mean converter Fiber to RJ45 ? and when you use directly module Fiber, it's a native solution ?

Thanks a lot Rahan

Reply to
Rahan

You can get SPF with 1000baseTx (!) hence , yes is might be a RJ45

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Hi

yes - many has 10/100/1000 RJ45 ports.

That you use another port.

A port is a port - doesnt matter what interfaces it has. GBIC (older tech) come in many flavors. like fiber, stacking, longrange fibers, and RJ45-1000baseT SPF (Newer Tech) comes in not somany flavors, fiber, longrange fiber and RJ45-10/100/1000 (!) GBIC and SPF are both names/terms for the connecting interfaces. The port "in the other end" is just a regular port, like if it were a 10/100/1000.

HTH Martin

>
Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Rahan,

When you buy a switch with an SPF /slot/ it is exactly like buying a switch with a GBIC /slot/.

You cannot connect anything to it /except/ an SPF module or a GBIC module. These are extra cost items.

In turn the GBIC or SPF allows you to connect a variety of different physical cable types.

For example - RJ45 terminated Cat6 cable Appropriately terminated Multi-mode fiber Appropriately terminated Single mode fiber

The SPF slot is about the same size as an RJ45 socket and in a low resolution web image looks a lot like an RJ45 socket but it is not.

The SPF system is like the GBIC system except that the modules are smaller.

I hope that answers your question. Finally:-))

Reply to
anybody43

Thanks You anybody43 for your answer. It's verry full answer !! :) Thanks a lot !!

Best Regards Rahan

Reply to
Rahan

"Martin Bilgrav" a écrit dans le message de news:d_pCg.342$ snipped-for-privacy@news.getnet.dk...

Thanks a lot Martin !!!

Best Regards Rahan

Reply to
Rahan

Hi Rahan,

SFP is "Small Formfactor Pluggable" GBIC that works very similar to a full size GBIC, except its much smaller. When you see SFP, just think GBIC (but in a physically smaller size). Just like a full size GBIC you plug in the appropriate SFP module (the actual GBIC) that you wish to use, either Copper or Fibre, etc.

Cheers..................pk.

Reply to
Peter

To add to this discussion there are four types of gigabit ethernet:

1000baseSX - short wavelength optical max distance about 500m 1000baseLX - long wavelength optical max distance about 500m Both optical methods can use multimode fiber optics, but only LX can use single mode. Single mode has a farther max distance, but I am not sure of the maximum.

1000baseCX - shielded twisted pair copper

1000baseTX - unshielded twisted pair copper. cat5e or cat6 cable required.

enjoy.

Reply to
ITBob

Cisco have plenty of documentation about SFPs and GBICs that will answer Rahan's questions and correct a couple of glaring misconceptions in the above. Try starting at .

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.