Cisco Semester 2 Final

Alright is it just me or does it annoy anyone else to see posts like this here? I busted my ass for a year in the academy to graduate 3 in my class, and I can't for the life of me understand why people can't be bothered to do the work on their own. I am sure that someone will say that "Oh they don't have time, they work a full time job." Well so did I and I went to school full time.

Reply to
Tarvos{k}
Loading thread data ...

I also busted my butt in the Cisco Academy and even passed my CCNA before the final class.

But I wouldn't worry about the folks who take the cheater way through the CCNA. Someday after they've been hired for their certification and the fact they were able to BS their way through an interview, they'll have to do real work requiring CCNA knowledge and their answer key won't be there to help them.

Dave

Reply to
David Casey

I've lurked on this news group for sometime and i thought i should add my two cents. I'm a CCNA instructor for a local academy in Ireland. I see the ones that come through the class and do well in all the exams and then suddenly do crap in the practical. You can smell someone who doesnt know one end of a router from another a mile off. As part of the course i can weight exams differently. Typcally the practical exam will account for about 60% of the overall mark. My reasoning behind this is that if you walk on-site to a customer, he ain't going to give a shit if you can't name all 7 layers, however, if you are there putting a x-over cable into the wrong port, setting up the router wrong etc you're going to get your ass kicked off-site very quickly.

I'm there to make sure the students have the knowledge to go out and do the job. Case in point; student i had one year would not do any labs, however his marks were excellent, i asked him to do one end of semester exam, he said he didnt need to as he had done all the e-labs, anyway i managed to get him to do one lab. Once he had the cabling done, i pulled one cable out without him seeing me, 45mins later he was still messing around trying to get the port to come up. Thats the benifit of doing practical labs and not boot-camping it. You cannot learn troubleshooting skills from a book!

That's my rant for the day over!

Flames to the above address!

Regards,

Garrett

Reply to
Garrett Murphy

What I don't get is: most of us netnerds do it because

#1 we love the challenge. #2 we're facinated by the technology. #3 we actually enjoy learning about the stuff.

If you aren't driven by one or all three of those, why choose IT to begin with?

You're not going to be ultimately successful in IT if you don't read an article at Slashdot and your first reaction is: "man, I gotta try that!"

The unspoken, underlying 'dive in and tinker until you figure it out' mentality most of us have is what tends to spawn responses like `RTFM' to those people who just want to be told how to do something. If you don't have the drive to figure it out, don't enter IT...because that is what employers are looking for.

My 2 cents anyway...

...Joey

Garrett Murphy wrote:

Reply to
Joey

I was with the 9th Signal Bn at Ft. Lewis, Washington for 1 year, where were you?

Reply to
Leet Hacker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.