CCNA lab switch selection

Have been searching through the posts looking for recommendations for my Cisco lab regarding switch models. I have a somewhat extensive lab already that consists of the following:

2 - 2507 routers (12.2 enterprise) 1 - 1912 switch running enterprise IOS 1 - 1924 switch running enterprise IOS 4 - Cisco 1600 series routers (various models 1601, 1603, etc.) -That's it for my Cisco gear. In addition to the Cisco gear, I have the following:

4 - Cabletron Smartstack ELS100-24TXM switches (100 meg interfaces, supports 802.1q trunks)

1 - Nortel Baystack 350-24T switch (100 meg interfaces, supports 802.1q trunks)

1 - CentOS Linux PC with four ethernet interfaces, running Quagga routing daemons (looks and feels like Cisco IOS. Supports all the popular routing protocols - RIP, OSPF, BGP, etc.)

What I'm trying to figure out is what sort of a disadvantage I'm at in only having 1900 series switches as far as my Cisco gear is concerned and whether I should look into a 2950 or better. Seems anything below a

2950 won't support 802.1q trunking.

This all, of course, being put together to prepare for the CCNA exam. In addition, I work in the telco industry where we have numerous hardware manufacturers we work with (hence the reason behind the low end Cabletron and Nortel gear...I'm looking for something from Juniper right now as well).

Appreciate any comments and feedback.

Best Regards, Chris

Reply to
Turlockaviator
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.