Advice on CCNA Lab setup

Wow! This newsgroup seems to have become a spam trap. :(

Anyway, do any of you have a suggested setup for a ccna lab? I will be moving straight from my ccna to ccvp instead of ccnp, because my job will be working with cisco voip systems and unified communications. Jeremy cioria(sp?) has a blog that shows a basic setup, but it is a bit dated (2006).

formatting link
I know the ccna was changed this year and is supposedly much harder than before. I have found many decent priced kits on ebay, so I think a real lab would be better than a net sim.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
dreaded
Loading thread data ...

Here's my setup:

Cisco 500-CS Access Server (4) 2610/12 Switches (1) 2520 Frame Relay Switch (1) Catalyst 2950 Series Switch (1) Catalyst 2900XL Series

Plus all cables necessary for connecting all this together. I have a bona fide CCIE in my family (better than 10 years my junior). The first time I took the test after basically rushing through the boot camp sucked out loud. Rescheduled for October. The test is largely centered on simulations and troubleshooting problems. Don't expect a lot of questions on syntax or easy stuff like that. The whole test focused a great deal on your knowledge of concept application and ability to troubleshoot a system failure.

Oh, you get an 11X14 dry erase board with a fast-ass marker to take notes. Didn't like that either. Hope your testing center is more accommodating.

There's also GSN3. It's open source and runs the dynamips emulation. The major drawback to tht is you must have the Cisco IOS images in order for it to work. And it eats RAM and processors like popcorn!!

Reply to
nobody

Thanks for your reply. :) I am looking at GSN3 now.

Reply to
dreaded

Just make sure you have LOTS of RAM and LOTS of CPU.

My setup uses up to 70% of my total RAM (I have only 2GB)

Also the CPU is cranking (Pentium D 915 @ 2.8GHz)

There is a setting attached to the routers called IdlePC, if you tweak that, it can take some of the load off the CPU.

Reply to
Richard4106

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.