Anyone used "Dynamips" Cisco router simulator?

The router simulator at sounds good for Cisco study (not production use). It will emulate 3600s as well as

7200s and seems to run genuine IOS images.

Any comments on it, or a recommended alternative for use in study?

-- James

Reply to
James Harris
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

A fine piece of work. Seems to work very nicely.

Documentation is a bit of a muddle but once you get away from a couple of incomplete docs it is quite good.

There is a windows install package that I recommend if you have windows and you MUST set the idle loop value.

When I build my next one I will use the 3600 since it will use a LOT less memory. I have not done much but it was OK with ospf and frame relay.

No problems at all. I, scarily, acccidentally let the production kit see it and CDP worked to real Cisco kit which even though expected was a bit surreal since I know that we do not have any 7200s:-)

It uses Cygwin under windows (the package includes it). I do wonder how the performance compares under native linux?

Note that you can add more PC's and when you run out of memory (Each Windows process is limited to 2G of Virtual memory) you can equally easliy add more instances of the emulator. In either case the inter-process communication is pretty much completely transparent. You just say which router is on which PC or emulator instamce and off you go.

I think that the window package is Dynagen.

Reply to
Bod43

Reply to
emekadavid

"it was beautiful"

It is truely a work of art. Just absolutely the business.

Reply to
Bod43

Best exam "simulator" on the market since it uses real IOS code. I love it.

Reply to
Rob

I just downloaded it yesterday, and I cannot believe how bloody brilliant it is. I have 3 routers connected together with it and am doing some redistribution testing.

It truly is amazing!

Regards

Rob wrote:

Reply to
James

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.