Squid in transperent Mode with Cisco Router

Hi, I have a Squid running in a Swell Box ( Redhat Linux as OS).Wants to use it as a transparent proxy in my network. I have a Cisco Router 3845 ( IOS 12.3(11r)T2.) connected to the ISP.

I uses live ip addreses in my internal network.

Wants to use the Squid for Caching. But don't wants to point to the Proxy in Internet Explorer. By default i should be able to use the Caching facility.

Also wants to keep the individual Live IP identity. In short wants to run in transperent mode.

Please suggest config for both. Thanks a ton in advance :)

Kind Regards, SD

Reply to
SD
Loading thread data ...

Best way to do it - run WCCP redirect on your Cisco router. You minimum router configuration should be something like this:

ip wccp version 1

ip wccp web-cache redirect

int

ip wccp web-cache redirect out

In the latest IOS images Cisco has introduced some more extensions for WCCP protocols -for example, you may specify by access-list, who should be redirected, and who does not.

On your Squid box should be also configured for WCCP protocol. Old versions of SQUID and Linux required to add WCCP module to the Kernel - not sure if it's the case now.

As an alternative, some people run IP ROUTE-MAP on the Cisco router to forward Web traffic to the web-cache server, but it's more complicated solution.

Good luck,

Mike

formatting link

Reply to
CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.