Measuring wheel

OK, my 12 years old measuring wheel started to skip turns, so I guess it's got to go. Has anyone come across any particular model that worked better for him than the others? I guess digital would not hurt these days, with memory and other perks. Have they started to make non-contact ones yet? I mean, ones like optical mouse that you don't have to actually wheel on the surface?

Any real-world feedback anyone?

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com
Loading thread data ...

Some of the contractors I work with have started to use laser rangefinders. Works well in buildings where you can bounce off a wall, not so well in OSP unless you run from building to building or have a handy pole to measure to.

Reply to
Justin Time

Thank you for response, JT

I use an ultrasonic distance measurer as a supplement for the wheel to measure short distances ('till 50'). Works OK, especially if you measure it twice every time to avoid possible reflection from a wrong surface. I have to measure in buildings full of people most of the time (those under construction normally have nice to-scale drawings), so I don't think I can use laser rangefinders for a fear to hit someone with too bright of a light, especially a kid in a school. So, a good old wheel is required, and it would be nice to teach the old wheel some new tricks ;-)

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

One company I was with had one of those really cheap wheels - one with the little rubber bumps on the side that were supposed to toggle the counter. If you pushed the wheel too fast, or you hit a bump or tried to do anything with ground that wasn't paved it invariably missed counts.

I guess the easier solution to your problem would be to look for the model you want and then try to pick one up used (not abused.) One source a lot of people overlook are the pawn shops. Talk to a pawn shop that handles a lot of construction tools and if they don't have one, they may be able to locate you one fairly quickly - and at a reasonable price. The best thing is you can inspect the wheel before you put money out - unlike the on-line auctions.

Rodgers Platt

Reply to
Justin Time

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.