Confused on Telephone Distribution

I've been reading here and looking at web sites, and I am still confused about what I should buy

I have a signal splitter (filter?) to put in the telco box in the garage, so I may send a DSL signal directly to my office, and a "pots" signal to a distribution panel

I have a box of 1,000 feet of cat5e to use for everything, so "just in case" I ever decide to add high speed to any location other than the office, all I have to do is change the wire connection at the telco box

What I want to do for the telephones is take that one line from the splitter at the telco box, in a central location, and connect "about" 10 lines going to various places in the house (still figuring out how many, but about 10 is good)

Looking at the wiring in the crawl space I'm renting, the "master" line from the telco box is connected to all the individual wires with a simple "remove insulation & twist" bunch of wires, with a shrink-to-fit covering (or it may be a "gob" of silicone insulation that was put on and let harden... dark in the crawl space and hard to see

I would like my central distribution panel to be just a BIT neater... and that's where I am confused

I need a SIMPLE connection "block" that has one line in and a place to connect 10 (or maybe as many as 12) lines going out... all with the same signal

After reading messages here, and looking at pics online, it SEEMS to me that a "110 punch block" is made so each set of "punches" is individual, not common to one input

What can I buy that has one input, and up to 12 outputs that are all pre-wired internally so every one of the output wires is the same, common signal?

Thanks for any specific brands and models and links to online sites I may visit

John Thomas Smith

formatting link

Reply to
John Thomas Smith
Loading thread data ...

John Thomas Smith wrote in part:

You don't! Buy an ordinary 110 or 66 (cat5e) block, and punch down all cables onto it. Including the telco feed. Then loop crossconnect wire from the telco posts to all of the required stations. This way you can disconnect any at will, or crossover to line two, or even replace the crossconnect with a PBX. Keep the block away from weather/humidity.

In general, I'd run two Cat5e cables to each of your 10 locations, and install one RJ11 for voice, one RJ45 for data.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Went to several local places last night, and found just what I need... a Leviton BRIDGED telephone board with all individual "punch downs" connected on the back... only had 9 connections, but if I need more than 8 out, I will just daisy-chain modules

Leviton Model SB-R01-47603-110 for about $25

John Thomas Smith

formatting link

Reply to
John Thomas Smith

You can install rj45 on both sides. An rj11 conector will fit in an rj45 jack, but I suppose in a home this might not be a good idea to make it easy for someone to confuse the 2, especially if you are just renting.

Randy R

Reply to
Randy R

No mater how great an idea the folks who came up with 568A think this is, in practice folks are endlessly confused. They are NOT going to label their jacks and they will continuously call whoever they call when they plug the phone into the computer jack or the other way around.

When I've put in the phone jacks color coordinated to the plate as RJ-11 and the networks as blue RJ-45 I get very few questions.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.