Breaker Panel & signal coupling?

I've ordered a Signal Coupler from Smarthome and have a question. I was looking at the on-line instructions and I'm confused. I was always under the impression that in a standard breaker panel, one side of the breakers was on one leg of 120V and the other side was the other 120V. The instructions say (and show) to install the two wires on adjacent breakers on the same side of the breaker box. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
ok
Loading thread data ...

yes

Reply to
grabbitt

Generally that's correct. Having adjacent breakers on opposite legs allows installing a double breaker for 240V appliances like clothes dryers and hot water heaters (or for your signal coupler).

I suppose some breaker locations in some panels may be connected differently. If there's any question in your mind, measure the voltage across the hot leads to the intended breaker locations. (An inexpensive neon bulb tester will work if you don't have a multimeter.) Zero volts means the breakers are on the same leg and won't work for the coupler. 240V means the breakers are on different legs.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.