cable box distribution - amplifier needed?

Hi,

I would like to set up my cable box to distribute the signal back to a central panel (already wired) and out to other TVs. I do understand that it will be distributing a single channel and all TVs will be controlled by the single cable box.

Currently when I split the output from the cable box, and feed it back into my distribution block, I get no signal out to the other TVs. Do I need an amplifier (installed at the cable source for the house)?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn S

Reply to
SNS
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I would like to set up my cable box to distribute the signal back to a central panel (already wired) and out to other TVs. I do understand that it will be distributing a single channel and all TVs will be controlled by the single cable box.

Currently when I split the output from the cable box, and feed it back into my distribution block, I get no signal out to the other TVs. Do I need an amplifier (installed at the cable source for the house)?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn S

Reply to
SNS

It could be that you're simply connecting it wrong. Cable boxes typically have two (sometimes more) types of outputs. The most common is the F connector which carries an RF signal (channel 3 or 4). The other is group of three RCA connectors which carry left audio (black or white), right audio (red) and line level video (yellow).

The RF signal can feed a splitter or (better) an amplified splitter which in turn feeds multiple TV sets, all of which must be tuned to channel 3 or 4, depending on what the cable box is sending.

To use the line level signal from the RCA connectors you'll need a modulator which converts the signal back to RF, then splits it out to the TVs. Since the cable box already provides a modulated signal, the modulator route would be a waste of money in your situation.

Some new cable boxes have other outputs, such as component video but these invariably also have basic ones described above. Check how you're connecting things and the TV settings to make sure these are OK before you buy anything.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.