Any way to organize cables that weren't labeled?

I'm taking over a wiring job in an old building. There are a approximately 80-90 cables coming down from the two floors above and none of them are labeled. I want to organize them according to the department and the computer number on the patch panel, but I have no idea which cable goes where. Is any easy way to figure this out or am I SOL and I'll just have to go by trial and error as I punch each cable down into the board? The cables are currently not connected to anything.

Roman

Reply to
redefined
Loading thread data ...

redefined wrote in part:

First, terminate the field ends. They gotta get jacks eventually, why not now? Record what jacks in what rooms so you can plan the panel layout.

Then just tone'em out and punch'em down. An assistant on a radio helps. Double check for good tone away from the bundle before you punch.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

No assistant on this job. I guess I have a lot of running to do! Thanks.

Reply to
redefined

redefined wrote in part:

Ouch! No-one at all to help you? You might be able to find tone gensets that generate distinguishable tones (try different brands). You could cut your trips in half.

Or you can make a little octopus that pushes tone through one plug on the blue pair, another on orange, a third on green and the fourth on brown. When you isolate the four squawking cables, you have to strip jacket anyways and can check pairs. This could cut your trips by 75%.

Do not split pairs! The cables will scream. That's only good behind walls.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Hire one for the day. No skill beside English and following instructions needed. Borrow radios.

Reply to
David Lesher

Absolutely the right thing. Doing this with a helper will triple your productivity. Unless you really feel the need to run up and down stairs all day long for a couple of days. You could probably find someone reasonably knowledgeable on this list near you who would be willing to trade a Saturday chasing cables for a hundred bucks cash and a free meal.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Dude....

Hire a guy for one day....anybody!!!!

LOL

I been there done that....it isnt worth saving $75.00 bucks.....

LOL

Trust me

I had a friend last year who was supposed to help me test/certify 150 drops...

He never showed up.....

I was so pissed....

I tested them all by myself! It tool triple the time....!

GET SOMEONE ANYONE TO HELP YOU!!

Joe Perkowski

Reply to
Perkowski

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.