Long patch cables vs. patch panel

Hello, I have two rows of servers and fiber must come from one row to another row to connect to the core switch. Does anyone know if the standards dictate wheather I should use 35' patch cables to connect accross rows or use a patch panel and short patch cables? I think using a patch panel is much cleaner and easier to maintain then long patch cables. Thanks, Jamie Please reply to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Jamie
Loading thread data ...

If this would have been copper, I would just say "of course short cords with patch panel-to-patch panel tie cables are so much easier to manage". However, fiber patch panels are rather big deal of money/time/effort to install, and it may not be feasible for you. I have never seen people doing 35' fiber tie cables though they do it with CAT5E/CAT6 all the time in larger data centers.

Anyways, if you go with long fiber patch cords, make sure you have enough cable managers (both horizontal and vertical) to store excess lengths: there is a considerable difference in distances between different ports on the same panel, so you need to be able to dress it in somewhere. Otherwise after 5-10 patch cord re-connections it will just become unmanageable tangled web of cords.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Another option is the pre-connectorized MPO cables. I've considered them for our data center when it gets remodeled soon. It reduces the time/effort thing for internal fiber patching. Haven't done a complete cost study yet, so I don't know how they come out cost wise.

Reply to
Justin T. Clausen

Why not use pre-fabicated cable with 12 or 24 strands of fiber ending in ST or SC and snap it into a simple patch panel with the appropriate couplings? This is not that expensive, takes little time and needs less skills than doing a proper CAT5/6 panel.

Reply to
Manfred Kwiatkowski

Thanks for the ALL the info.

The MPO option is something that I haven't heard before. It sounds interesting and I'm trying to find general info on it but it doesn't seem to be too common. If I'm interpretting it's use correctly, you buy an MPO cable that is pre-terminated on both ends then plug both sides into a patch panel. This would provide exactly what I'm after and avoid the cost of terminating fiber. Hopefully the cost of it isn't too excessive. I will definately check into it.

Reply to
Jamie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.