formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Finally, we got to your "solution". Thank you. It appears we are way off topic for a cable modem newsgroup so this discussion ends here.

Reply to
JD
Loading thread data ...

Now you're insulting me. I don't know who my ISP is? That's right, it was connected in the middle of the night while I slept by the modem fairy. We're way off topic for a cable modem newsgroup. This discussion ends here.

Reply to
JD

JD wrote in news:OJkEi.505704$p47.35283@bgtnsc04- news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Hi,

Do you have anyother pcs that you can hook up to the modem to test if it is the pc?

Reply to
Boris

That implies 384 kilobits per second. Are you sure it's not KBps - kilo*BYTES* per second ? Mine is throttled to 6144/512 Kbps which is 16x/3x yours. Your's sounds more like a low rate DSL speed rather than cable.

A router protects you a lot more than a software firewall and can be had wireless for like $40-60 (Netgear/Linksys) on sale these days.

Let the router take the hit on all that incoming crap that's trying to access your PC and your firewall can handle mostly the outgoing situations (malware, etc) and not have to be bothered with most incoming attempts.

Have you looked into how much memory you are using when this starts slowing down ? Is most of your memory exhausted when it fails ? You may want to look at the size of your pagefile too.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.