Old computer-new modem

Hi; I use an older Gateway Select tha has an internal (dialup) modem that is; 56K PCI Voice ModemSF-1156IV R9A, and it been fine at my old location. At the new location, I have a external Cable Modem that is: Motorola Surfboard SBV5120 and that one is a dual Modem as it has the telephone hookup that uses cable and it works fine. This computer has a Phone tool installed that can talk through the mike and speakers, fax using either a copyier fax machine or the artificial printer mode called "capture fax". This has ceased to work and I only noticed it yesterday when attempting a fax. I have checked the wiring in the back of the computer and it is as before. My question is "can an external modem that uses cable operate a phone tool that probably was meant only for dial up"? If so, how to install it? It is not on the list of modems that are in the setup for the Phone Tools, probably because of the age of the computer. Any thoughts my friends? Thanks, BW..

Reply to
Bill W...
Loading thread data ...

It's doubtful that the Phone Tool software will work. That software is probably designed to to "talk" to your old internal modem via a "com port" interface (COM1, COM2, etc.) Typically, there will be a configuration interface in the software where you tell it which com port to use (which would be the same com port that the internal modem is configured to use). Since cable modems don't utilize a com port, the software won't work.

IF you have a VoIP account with your cable provider (can't tell for sure from your post), there may be some software available that can provide the functionality you are looking for.

Reply to
JB-LSMO

As long as you are connecting the PC's phone modem into the cable modem's voice port (the RJ-11 connector) it will likely work. You may need to call the cable company and let them know you are connecting a fax machine. They can reconfigure the modem to operate a little differently. You may want to lock your fax speed to 9600 baud, but it shouldn't be necessary. If the telephone modem isn't answering, there could be some compatibility issues, but it is doubtful.

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
Bill W...

You have an ATA. It's your SBV5120. You should be able to fax and make dial-up calls over it, just by plugging your equipment into it's "phone" port. The SBV5120 is basically a little telephone central office in your house.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Others have asked various questions but not the basic ones I can think of.

1. Do you have a conventional phone line installed in your new location?

1. If not, do you use that cable modem as your phone connection? It is capable of providing VoIP (Voice over IP) service via the phone jack on the back, but only if you pay your internet provider for that service.

2. When you say your fax modem/phone tools software quit working, exactly what do you mean? If you can't scan a document in order to fax, it may be that the CAPTURE FAX BVRP printer driver has been lost. That can happen with Phone Tools. I have had it happen a couple of times with my copy of the same software. In that case, you actually have to reinstall the software in order to get the driver back, or at least that's what I had to do.

1. If your fax modem is dead in terms of whatever hardware is there (soft modems still have a CODEC), then you would have to get another modem in order to be able to fax from your computer. Even if the Phone Tools printer driver is lost, you can still fax a cover sheet to someone. If you can't do that, then you can try talking to the modem via Hyperterminal. By the way, you did not indicate whether you are running XP or some version of Win98.

Of course, if you do not have the original installation disks that came with the computer, it may not be so easy to reinstall software or drivers.

Ron

Reply to
RCD

Reply to
Bill W...

OK, if your cable company is providing phone service (digital phone or whatever they call it), then you should also be able to connect a phone to that jack on the cable modem and dial out. You might want to do that so that you can be sure that it is possible to do that, but that's just something to do after you figure out what is wrong with dialing using the modem.

In hyperterminal, you can type a dial command in the terminal screen if you have command echo turned on so you can see what is happening. In the terminal screen, type "ATE1" (without the quotes) and press the "Enter" key on your keyboard. The modem should respond with "OK" in the screen. Then try dialing out using "ATDT" followed by a known good phone number. If you can't hear the modem dialing, then you might type in "ATM1" followed by the "enter" key in the terminal screen to turn on the speaker. Remember that all the modem commands must be followed by the "enter" key in order to work.

It is possible that the file that provides setup strings for the modem (an INF file) is not sending the right strings at startup. You might have to uninstall the modem in your device manager and then reinstall it. You would need to select the correct modem if Windows can't find it, so you first have to make sure you have the name of the modem written down. You can try various "ATI" commands, i.e. ATI1, ATI2, etc. in the hyperterminal program to get information about the modem. Reinstalling the modem may fix the INF file and also may fix the actual software driver that supports this internal "soft" modem. However, don't do this if you are able to get the modem to dial out with things as they are.

Ron

Reply to
RCD

One other thing you can do is to post questions about your modem problem in "comp.dcom.modems" newsgroup. There are people there who have more than thirty years experience in telephony and the use of phone modems and they can also help troubleshoot this with you. Be glad that you have high-speed internet and aren't relying on the modem for a dialup connection.

Ron

Reply to
RCD

message..please

Reply to
Bill W...

That is good news indeed.

Ron

Reply to
RCD

No, that is a tool specifically using the PHONE part of the modem and not the DATA. A cable modem is a data only device, and has no phone portion to dial up numbers or answer incoming calls. If you dial up modem still works, you can still use the software with that modem and just use the cable for internet though. Just do not set internet explorer or Firefox to DIAL up an internet connection.

Reply to
Dan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.