Motorola SB5100

I recently bought a new Motorola SB5100 cable modem. So far I'm pleased with it but have noticed something strange with the log page. It seems the log grew until it was full and then instead of adding new entries and deleting the oldest entries, it keeps writing over the most recent entry. So the log is full of old stuff and it just keeps writing over the most recent entry. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Mine does this as well. In addition to that, Comcast doesn't offer time stamps so the time recorded in the log is false.

Reply to
burris

That's interesting. I wonder if this is a problem with all SB5100's. I also have Comcast. But the timestamps seem to be correct. When I first powered it up, it showed the 1970-01-01 date. But then it seems to get the correct time/date and seems to be close since then. What are you getting for time and date?

Reply to
Dave

Even more interesting is that today I did see the top 4 date/time lines stamped with today's date and a time. I mentioned in another forum that my SunRocket VOIP went out early this morning and at the same time my Comcast was very sluggish and timed out frequently. I recycled both my VOIP and 5100 boxes many times, but no indication of a time stamp during that time. I do see some odd assorted date/times further on down. Nothing consistent. I was told by Comcast/Motorola that the log has no purpose for the user...only for the providers...I have never been asked to supply the information or error codes. This is the legend at the top of my log....

This page displays detailed information intended for use by an authorized Motorola Cable Modem technician.

This is typically what I do get....

1970-01-01 00:00:44

burris

Reply to
burris

Well, my experience is that no one at Comcast wants to take the time to look at the log. I had poor service (dropped connection) for some time (2 years). They scheduled a service call each time only to say everything was fine. Finally I started checking things out myself. Both the upstream and downstream levels were on the ragged edge and when temperatures varied it would start dropping connection. I started calling and reporting the levels as a problem. As it turned out, the customer service tech and the tech dispatched didn't seem to have a clue. They couldn't even carry on a conversation about the acceptable range for each level. And they damn sure didn't look at the modem log or signal levels. I kept it up until they found the problems including a bad transmitter in the node. My levels are pretty good now (downstream=0, upstream=38 and snr=37). Now I'm experiencing problems (intermittent snr) when there are high winds. Apparently they have an aerial cable problem. But it'll take several reports and a lot of complaining to get anything fixed.

Bottom line is Comcast could care less about the modem log. But it is a good source of information for my complaints to them.

"burris" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Dave

That's strange, mine has dates in it..

050314080955 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out Which, if i read correctly, stands for 03-14-2005.
Reply to
Danska

Mine has dates on each entry. But when a new message is added to the log it overwrites the newest entry and not the oldest one.

Reply to
Dave

Hi, Art....

Glad all is well with you.

I'm actually pleased with Comcast even though I have to get involved with the engineers at times. I have established a good relationship with the local people who gave me all their phone numbers and wanted feedback. I have a meeting with the head honcho in charge of cable and HSI later in the week to discuss technical cable and HSI issues in our community of over 3000. For some reason, I get the complaints.... My snr runs about 33db and I finally got them to drop my downstream from +19dbm to +11dbm. Originally my upstream dbm level was +56dbm and was causing too many outages. I got them to reduce the return to +36dbm and it is pretty solid. My VOIP is working well also.

Take care....

burris

Reply to
burris

Hey burris. How ya doin'? I've got an SB-5100 here on Adelphia, and up until now, it has always shown 01-01-1970 in the log. However I just checked it, and all the entries have the correct date and time on them now. Another change was made over the weekend, I have a new IP address. My previous IP was static for about 3 months. At least with the new IP, I'm getting correct log entries. I'm still homing off of Cleveland, OH. When I was on BS DSL, my SNR ran 6-11db, and ran pretty ragged when it was 6-7db. On Cable, there is a Line AMPL right in my back yard, and the splitter feeding my drop, is about 6 inches from the AMPL output. My SNR on Cable is always 39db, so it provides excellent throughput. I think Comcast is going to take over the local Adelphia Network, sometime soon.

Reply to
Art Jackson

Not true. My Comcast-connected SB4100 has correctly time-stamped log entries.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

burris typed this:

Hi Burris, Say, see you (and others on this thread) are COMCAST (as I am)... Lately there have been some REAL slow downs and I'm wondering if you (others?_) are experiencing those issues as well? Here is southern CA. the slowdowns are terrible (I've gotten faster speeds with a dial out).

You mentioned contacts?? Engineers? While this is NOT specifically MODEM based, my email is accurate if you take out the nospam... drop me a note if you have a second. Thanks.

Reply to
Doc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.