how to access my computer at home form another location

as you can see from the subject im trying to access my computer form home from another location, i have seen somebody do it before but forgot to ask him how to di it before he left. Anyone know the website of how to access my computer form another location ???????

any help is very appreciated.

thanks

ryan

Reply to
dellboy_732
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Try Real VNC

formatting link
formatting link

-- Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren

I use LogMeIn

CIAO!

Ed N.

dellboy snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

Another vote for VNC. I use ultr@vnc, which also includes an HTML/Java viewer. Just point your web browser at the machine you want to control. Very slick for locked-down corporate PCs.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Oh, and it is free, too.

Reply to
Eric

Thanks for the help i will download VNC

Reply to
dellboy_732

Right I have downloaded it but i want to access it from another compter via the web how would i do so ?????????

Reply to
dellboy_732

You will need to know the IP address of the target computer, have firewall enabled for VNC traffic, and the router, if any, set to pass traffic on the VNC port of the target computer.

Since VNC traffic is not encrypted, exposing a computer to the web is risky unless one takes some steps to safeguard the connection. Personally, I tunnel my VNC connections through SSH and have configured SSH to use only public key encryption. This way, only port 22 need be open to the web and no machine can connect unless an exchange of public keys has occurred beforehand.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

ok thanks very much

Reply to
dellboy_732

Are you sure about that? As I said above, I use Ultr@VNC, and it has support for MSRC4, which while a pain to set up, seems to be secure enough. The Web interface also exchanges keys between computers (at least IE puts up a warning) when you first log on to the server.

Reply to
Eric

I must admit that I know nothing about Ultr@VNC, but for me it was a trivial matter to tunnel the VNC connections through SSH, which I had already set up to enable secure remote access to my computers for other purposes.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.