download speeds

I have 2 computers, at different locations (connected to the same broadband cable internet provider). On one computer, as soon as I type the website and hit, "enter," the page downloads immediately and appears instantly. On the second computer, I type the same website, hit "enter" and about one or two seconds elapse....THEN the entire page downloads immediately. I'm sure there could be dozens of "reasons" but.... what comes to mind? Thanks!

Reply to
Westcoast Sheri
Loading thread data ...

p.s. ..I'll also add that I am very sure (100% sure) that the issue it is NOT the broadband internet provider's fault because other friends that use them have instantly fast downloads, etc.

Reply to
Westcoast Sheri

Westcoast Sheri (sheri snipped-for-privacy@nospamun8nospam.com) wrote: : I have 2 computers, at different locations (connected to the same : broadband cable internet provider). On one computer, as soon as I type : the website and hit, "enter," the page downloads immediately and appears : instantly. On the second computer, I type the same website, hit "enter" : and about one or two seconds elapse....THEN the entire page downloads : immediately. : I'm sure there could be dozens of "reasons" but.... what comes to mind? : Thanks! :

o The second computer is faster or has more memory

o The second computer's hard drive needs to be defragmented

o Adware/spyware/scumware is slowing the second computer

o The first computer has a 'hosts' file to block access to unnecessary sites:

URL :

formatting link
Text :
formatting link
Zipped :
formatting link

--Jerry Leslie Note: snipped-for-privacy@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

Reply to
leslie

"enter"

When you say "2 computers, at different locations" do you mean two different buildings, or two different rooms of the same residence, going through a router or a switch or a hub to the same modem? What OS's do each computer run? Are they both set for DHCP, or is(are) one(both) using static IP's? What DNS servers are being used by each computer? What browsers are being used? Do either of them have live virus protection running? Any other Internet applications running, such as instant messenger programs, instant weather programs, headline watchers, etc.? Does the computer that is slow have extra network adapters added? Was it ever connected to dial-up before you got broadband? And I'm just getting started.

More information, especially about the slow computer, is needed. A good starting point would be the OS.

Reply to
Warren

Both computers are same model, both running the same OS, both w/same applications, both w/ nothing running in background (no virii, etc., and no other stuff either) But, actually, the slower one was connected to dial up before broadband.

Reply to
Westcoast Sheri

Okay. Since you didn't want to make this easy by actually telling what that "same OS" is, I looked in the headings, and I see you're posting with Netscape from a Macintosh. I still don't know which version of Mac OS you're using, so I can't get too specific.

Probably you still have the networking for dial-up still installed, and since it was installed first, it gets checked first before the Ethernet (or possibly USB - who knows, since you don't seem to like to give too much information) connection is checked and used.

But since you still didn't mention whether these two machines are connected to the same modem through a router, or if a hub/switch is used, or if they are in completely different locations, it could be that they are on different subnets, and are using different DNS servers, and one server is slower than the other.

And there still are dozens of other possibilities that can't be ruled out based on such sketchy information. Essentially your first question was, I own two cars. One accelerates faster than the other. Why? And all you've added in the follow-up is that they're the same make and model with the same equipment, but nothing more. Not even what kind of car.

The answers you can get depend on how well you ask the questions.

Reply to
Warren

Start here:

formatting link
Check Startup Apps here:
formatting link
Review System Services here (WinXP)
formatting link
Q

Reply to
Quaoar

Westcoast Sheri wrote: >

Given the headers, I'm guessing you're using Mac OS 9. (I don't think there is a Mac OS X version of Netscape 4)

If you know where to find your tcp/ip settings: are you using DHCP? Are the DNS servers the same? (Even when DHCP is turned on, DNS servers need to be set manually on OS 9 if I remember correctly and when you're using the DNS servers of another provider, this could be the cause of the initial slowdown before the opening of the page itself is fast again)

Edwin

Reply to
Edwin Woudt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.