Stereo Automation?

One of my buddies wants to build a remote control mechanism to turn the volume control on his stereo. He imagines some kind of motor or servo from an RC application that is somehow linked to a pulley which connects to the volume knob with a rubber band or the like. It obviously needs to move slow and steady yet it need not move a huge distance (if geared properly). He doesn't want to use a huge RC radio to control it though. He wants something much smaller. Any ideas? He knows that there are boxes that can be added to a stereo that are essentially remote control volume devices but he is an audiophile and wants to add nothing to his system that might dirty the sound.

Reply to
David White
Loading thread data ...

He is an "audiophile" that doesn't want to "add nothing to his system" but has a manual volume control on his stereo?

Does it use 25L6s for output?

This just sounds like a bad troll.

Reply to
Josepi

What the OP is asking for once was available in commercial production. A Denon integrated amp that I have has an internal motor to turn the volume knob by remote control.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Ditto. The 10 or so y/o (purchased used) Magnavox system I'm listening to right now (separate but joined boxes for the tuner, CD player, and cassette tape deck) has a remote control that causes the volume dial to physically rotate as we watch it....

Annoyingly the original remote was replaced by a "universal", so while we can adjust the volume, we can't change the radio station from our chair....

Reply to
danny burstein

Google Internet and search eBay for "motorized potentiometer".

For example, IR control version here:

formatting link
For his efforts, your friend may also get the crackles and pops and rectification that sometimes go along with a mechanical passive voltage divider.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.