Mp3 and wma player

I have a large music collection. 600 LP's and over 100 gig of MP3's I am tired of burning CD's and plugging them into my Sony 400 disk player. It works fine but it is full and there is still music in the closet. I have looked into some digital home theater stuff, Bose has a system but it only has a 80 gig hard drive. It costs almost 3 grand which I am not shy about but it is not big enough by half. I am not sold on the computer based systems cause they seem clunky when all I want do is listen to random selections from my collection.

Anyone have any suggestions? Target is 200 gig hard drive. I can scrimp by with that for now. Manufactures and model numbers are appreciated. My googling so far has found little. Recording is not needed nor wanted. Just a digital jukebox.

Thanks for any suggestions

Reply to
SQLit
Loading thread data ...

J.River's Media Center will turn a PC into multi-zone capable media player. Load up the audio on it or networked drive shares and play away. I've a rackmounted touchscreen PC running it out to 3 zones via usb sound adapters. All the files live on another PC with gobs of RAID5 disk space. Works great.

Reply to
wkearney99

I recommend the following 8 channel audio card to be used in the NOBU Home Media Server in conjunction with whatever flavor of sound system you have (like Nuvo).

formatting link
combined with Command Cubes distributed audio software available here:
formatting link
I believe this will provide you with a kickass, distributed, zone-specific, audio setup. This will accomplish exactly what you're looking to do. The Command Cube software is an excellent compliment to the Home Media Server. NOBU makes an inwall touchscreen PC as well as a touchscreen tablet that are perfect for the Command Cube software. They are available from Smarthome or even direct from NOBU. NOBU dealer info:
formatting link
Touchscreen Tablet:
formatting link
or Home Media Server:
formatting link
Touchscreen PC:
formatting link
You can contact Jason @ Command Cubes or Ben @ NOBU. They should both be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps. ~Tyson

Reply to
Tyson

Ya must have missed this statement from my post. " I am not sold on the computer based systems cause they seem clunky when all I want do is listen to random selections from my collection."

Reply to
SQLit

formatting link

another computer solution I am not interested in setting up another computer for this application.

Reply to
SQLit

How about the Creative wireless Music unit?

formatting link

Reply to
Alan

Are you into some tinkering and soldering? If so, take a look at this one:

formatting link
It is a build-it-yourself HD based MP3 player. Unless you are a pro in electronic assembly, I would not recommend to buy the kit, but the assembled board would do it for you ($150). On top of that you are going to need a 12V power supply, a HD and a SIMM module (which you can easily dig out of a trash 10-year old PC). Well, the LCD module ($42), though optional, is highly recommended.

Good luck finding the best solution for you.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

That's all well and good but you're not likely to find it anytime soon.

Meanwhile things like J.River's product actually do a VERY painless job of that sort of stuff. Install the OS, set it to automatically login to a given user and put Media Center in the startup items folder. If it has a large enough drive then it's an all-in-one solution. If not then it painlessly deals with pulling audio from network drive shares or web radio streams. That and it has a built-in CD-ripper; pop in a CD and it'll automagically pull the tracks up from it.

That and it can be remote controlled, either from it's web pages or from things like NetRemote.

For average users with reasonanbly sized collections it's not unreasonable to 80gb units. For what you're after, however, the user interface on anything BUT a pc-driven system would be nearly impossible to use.

Reply to
wkearney99

Is this what you are looking for?

formatting link

Reply to
sprgns

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.