Where can I find a Wifi mp3 player for the stereo?

I'm looking for an mp3 player that has the following:

• wireless wifi
  • plays music stored on PC
  • output to stereo amp
  • remote control
  • front display

It has to be about 10 years ago when I purchased a Netgear mp101 that did the above for less than 50 bux (I can't use it now because it doesn't do WPA encryption). I thought that by now, these players would be 20 bux a piece. It's 10 years later and I can't even find a player like this (has technology gone backward?). Does anybody know of such a product? Thanks.

Reply to
wdoe999
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:48:46 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote (with clarity & insight):

The only thing that comes to mind that covers all these is my (wonderful) Sonos system, but it's expensive.

Reply to
Wayne R.

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I've got a SliMP3 which does the above bar the wireless. I'm using a WRT54GS with OpenWRT on as wireless bridge to connect it to the rest of the network. Slim Devices have made other models since then that include wireless support.

If you have a UPNP media server, you should be able to use any of these devices:

formatting link
The preceding is nowhere near an exhaustive list. I'm sure there are tens if not hundreds of products on the market that will do what you want, it's a matter of knowing what to Google for!

Reply to
alexd

Per snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

This does not address your requirements, but I think I am getting that basic functionality via a combination of:

- An iTouch (would also work w/iPhone or iPad)

- An iTouch application called "Remote"

- Keeping my music on a PC under iTunes

- Something Apple calls "AirPort"

The iTouch acts as the remote control into the PC's iTunes DB.

The AirPort is a white plastic cube that plugs into an AC outlet on one end and my stereo's Alt input on the other end.

I'm no fan of iTunes, but I use it and the functionality is there.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

check out mediamonkey

formatting link
free, can be installed along with itunes, but (imo) better than itunes for portable use ipod 3rd gen at walmart built in wifi, and a cable to send the audio from the headphone jack to the stereo home use, bose surround sound (with carosel) and just burn cd's (as mp3's, can put about 1000 songs on the cd player) for cell phone mp3 player memory card

trick is where do you want to store the music? master db on the pc itself and use it from other stuff, or store chunks of it on the device.... i chose master db on the pc (all data on the pc itself, 10,000+ mp3s, 71 GB, have it accesible via blog and website, but takes forever to download) and using the stuff on the master (usb cable, burn cd's, memory cards, wifi and browsing, etc)

make playlists/groups of what i want, virtual cd feature of mediamonkey lets you pick and choose... (whole thing is there, but don't need all 10,000+ songs at once)

thing is the op is mixing things, but one of his requirements is ">>* plays music stored on PC"

as an aside, another freebie, winamp and winamp remote

formatting link
(haven't tried it to see if it coexists with itunes)

both are on the top 50 free applications list

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.