run web server behine router

It sucks up bandwidth that their pricing models don't charge you for. Get a different pricing model (ie: business class service) and they don't care.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Back to the OP and his original problem. If it definitely works from outside without the router, then the router is not doing the right thing. Make sure you have the latest firmware, and that you are pointing at the LAN IP that you think you are. Better yet, either use port triggering, or a static LAN IP to ensure that your 'server' can't inadvertently move.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I'd second this - the following works for me.

1) assign your server PC a static IP number with a high last one - like 192.168.1.200 2) on the router make sure that the IP numbers available for dynamic dishing out to the other computers in the place do not go as high as 192.168.1.200 - restrict them to maybe 192.168.1.100 and below. 3) set port forwarding on the router for port 80 to 192.168.1.200

That should do it.

BobT

Reply to
BobT

The way to get around the COMCAST problem and use their service to be an ISP is to use ports out of the range of their scanners. Any port above 100000 should do the trick.

Reply to
medman

It won't do - the port number is an 16 bit unsigned integer with a maximum value of 65535.

I'd start attempting with a port above 49152 (0xc000).

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

Yeah, that'll be well out of the range of anyone's scanners. 8*) [Hint, port numbers are 0-64K]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

It seems to me that your problem is with Cisco, and you're not the only one I know of using this router that has a problem with this same issue.

Reply to
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Fine, we start a new thread later. I think the issue is important enough, and since you without a doubt now know that you are breaching the contract with your ISP, I hope you will add your two cents.

As Larry Finger pointed out before, you should tell us exactly which router you use, and also provide information such as hardware and firmware revision numbers, if available.

Reply to
biggerdigger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.