run web server behine router

I run Apache on my home PC which is behind a Netgear router. It gets dynamic IP address from Comcast. I would like to visit the web server from outside. I went to dyndns.org and registered an account "mydomin.dyndns.org". I also did port-forwarding (port 80 for http) on my router. But I can not "ping" or visit my web server from outside with browser.

I do not think my isp is blocking port 80 because if I do not use the router, I can visit the web server from outside.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks

qq

Reply to
quickcur
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

You most likely did not properly configure the router, since that is what is failing (it works without the router). This means that it cannot be a DNS issue, and it certainly cannot be an IIS issue (is IIS even involved in this?).

If you are sure you have properly configured the router, do you really use a machine outside the router? If not, perhaps your router does not support loop-back?

Reply to
Kristofer Gafvert

Which Netgear router? Is your firmware up to date? The router firmware or configuration seems to be the problem.

I have a similar setup with my Linksys WRT54G router connected to Time Warner Roadrunner service. On one of my internal machines I run a subversion server for the sources in a couple of program projects that I host. I also have a registered a domain name with DynDNS.com. The only thing I had to worry about is that I have 3 other computers behind the NAT router and I use DHCP for them. To ensure a constant IP address for the SVN server, I assigned a fixed IP address outside the dynamic range. This way the server always has the same internal address for router forwarding of the SVN packets.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Ping is a different port and probably blocked by your isp as well as your router.

If You can reach the web page from outside with out the router you have 'nt got the forwarding right in the router. FYI your router may be blocking the returned info from your website to the outide world.

Reply to
SEND NO SPAM

Thanks for your emails.

Here is my router config from http://192.168.1.1/start.htm # Service Name, Start Port, End Port, Server IP Address 1 AIM 5190 5190 192.168.1.2 2 HTTP 80 80 192.168.1.2

I do not know what else I should do.

Reply to
quickcur

Get rid of the router and install Windows 2000 server as a stand-alone on an old 500mhz box, with two NICs and configure RRAS as a router. and RAS and configure inbound and outbound packet filters. You'll need to spend some big bucks to get the same features in a store bought router.

Reply to
Kevin Goodknecht [MVP]

I do this with a $70 Linksys WRT54G, which takes a whole lot less electricity that any old 500 MHz box, didn't cost me a Windows 2K license, and has never given me a BSOD! In addition, it is a wireless AP.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

I am looking myself for an ISP which allows me to run my own servers, including a web server, of course, on my own computer. Out of curiosity I checked COMCAST's terms of service. COMCAST hides the terms quite well. Anyway, they offer the same kind of sickening service like COX and VERIZON do. Have a closer look at section 14.

formatting link
Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using the Service, Customer Equipment, or the Comcast Equipment to: ... run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers; ...

To me, it does not matter whether an ISP limits my Internet access or the Chinese government. Welcome to the not-so-free Internet in the USA!

I also found the following introduction quite interesting. Loan-sharks have better terms!

Important Note: Comcast may revise this Acceptable Use Policy (the "Policy") from time to time without notice by posting a new version of this document on the Comcast Web site at

formatting link
(or any successor URL(s)). All revised copies of the Policy are effective immediately upon posting. Accordingly, customers and users of the Comcast High-Speed Internet Service should regularly visit our web site and review this Policy to ensure that their activities conform to the most recent version. In the event of a conflict between any subscriber or customer agreement and this Policy, the terms of this Policy will govern. Questions regarding this Policy and complaints of violations of it by Comcast customers and users can be directed to
formatting link

Reply to
biggerdigger

I get Verison Fios for business, 5 static IPs, 5M/2M, and all the servers I want for $100/month. No-one is limiting anything, but you gotta pay more if you want something more than consumer service.

[Note, the requirement to pay more money for a better class of service doesn't count as a 'limitation' or an infringement on your civil rights.]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Reply to
Dave

Let's try the common sense approach here, shall we? Most people cannot afford additional charges of $100/month to their telco bill. The math is quite simple. The telcos know that.

And what kind of service do we get? Is your telco going to fix your problem on your server? I doubt it. What exactly is different if someone runs a server? The bandwidth from the customer to the CO is already crippled by an order of magnitude. Does anything depend on from where the connection was initiated? What exactly is the justifications for the COMCAST COX VERIZON Chinese Government style terms of services? Why do the telcos have a problem to be upfront with their terms of service? When I contacted Verizon, I was told on the phone that I can only get the terms of service with my order. Go to the telcos web sites and see if you find the terms of service on the same page where you sign up. Do you smell a rat?

The telcos cripple all services because they want to sell them over and over again. And they want to prohibit people from running servers, because the telcos are planning to expand their service monopoly in the future. That is why we cannot run servers on our computers. That is why they are selling junk.

Some telcos even cripple the firmware of their customers' phones. How sick is that?

formatting link

Reply to
biggerdigger

formatting link
[I lied, their low-end starts at $60/month, 15M/2M dynamic IP]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

How do you go from "I can't afford it" to "these restrictions are like those that the Chinese government imposes on everyone in China"?

Yes, it's all about economics, you can have any bandwidth, and run any servers you want as long as you are willing to pay for the priviledge.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

When the communist party SED was ruling in East Germany, people with Deutsche Mark could buy whatever they want. I am sure the lucky ones thought it was a privilege (NO!).

Telcos are regulated for good reasons, they hold monopoly power, and they get our tax money. Now you are telling everybody that we should pay extra for something that the telco customers and tax payers already pay for? Did someone sell you a bridge in NY?

Reply to
biggerdigger

Reply to
Dave

Cites, please? Tax money?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Federal Universal Service Fund.

Reply to
biggerdigger

Umm, this is paid by ratepayers (not taxpayers), and doesn't have anything to do with broadband services. If any telco is using Universal Service Fund moneys to pay for data services I'd like to hear about it!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

It is a tax. See title 47, Code of Federal Regulations, sections 36,

54, 69. We pay it since the 30's.

Where is the justification for banning servers on customers' computers? Answer the question.

Reply to
biggerdigger

Come on, guys, stop. Please do not talk about China, we are in USA.

I do not care about their contract, yet. All I want right now is to prove that I can setup a server and people can access it. It seems to be true because if I take out the router, everything works fine. Now, my problem is how to run my server behind router? Did anyone find any trick that is not commonly known?

Please help with my problem.

qq

Dave wrote:

Reply to
quickcur

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.