Cable modem vs DSL

I currently have Road Runner. I just ordered DSL from Bellsouth. I am interchanging the two on my PC comparing the speeds. When I go to bandwidth test sites, I get comparable speeds between the two...they both show about 1000kbs. When I do a file download either from downloads.com or from astraweb usenet news server, I get 400kbs download on road runner and 150kbs download speed on dsl. Would any of you have an idea why I see such a disparity on file download speed? Thanks for any help!

Reply to
fatboyrider
Loading thread data ...

| I currently have Road Runner. I just ordered DSL from Bellsouth. I am | interchanging the two on my PC comparing the speeds. When I go to | bandwidth test sites, I get comparable speeds between the two...they | both show about 1000kbs. When I do a file download either from | downloads.com or from astraweb usenet news server, I get 400kbs | download on road runner and 150kbs download speed on dsl. Would any of | you have an idea why I see such a disparity on file download speed? | Thanks for any help!

Different network paths between you, the ISP and the web site ?

When you use DSL are your using PPPoE ? If so, are you setting the MTU=1492 ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Use a real speed test server and see what results you get.

formatting link

Reply to
Al Dykes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.