Are there still a lot of DSL services?

Hello.

It seems like less these days since phone companies don't want them anymore like in my areas. :/

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
Ant
Loading thread data ...

You have to define for what area of the world. I assume the US?

The telco's have pretty much shut down almost all 3rd party ISPs DSL services due to many reasons and factors. Most of them can be traced back to the Brand X supreme court decision or that telco's don't play fair.

Steeling customers, providing next to unsuable ULE's to any CLEC. No longer reselling shared line access, etc. etc.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Yes, there is. Both direct and indirect.

My parents can't get FiOS so they are still on Verizon ADSL. That's a direct use.

An indirect use use provides VDSL. An apartment complex receives coaxial or fiber based content. In a CO of the building is a matrix of DSLAMs for each apartment which uses POTs wiring to the apartments. Due to the relatively short distance between a building's CO and the apartment furthest away, very high speed DSL can be provided. This is less expensive and easier than running FTTP or Coax to each apartment because the POTs is already in place.

As a transmission line, speed is a function of distance. The further away one is to the CO, the slower the speed. So the inverse is true and that's why VDSL is an indirect method used in apartment complexes.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Yeah, sorry. USA. :)

:(

Reply to
Ant

replying to Ant , Chainsaw Bob wrote: I'm still using DSL, with a max download speed of 6 Mbps. AT&T provides the wire and central equipment to EarthLink, and EarthLink provides the product to me. Had it for years! Very pleased with it. Faster would be nice, but distance to the CO is an issue, and I'm not willing to pay cable rates. We can watch live video feeds at our current speed.

Friend of mine has it too, but with a 1.5 Mbps feed.

Bob

Reply to
Chainsaw Bob

Just curious, is anybody still reading this newsgroup?

Thanks,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Reply to
danny burstein

Yes, Bob. ;)

Reply to
Ant

Excellent, we have what will pass for a quorum in this venerable institution 8-)

A couple years ago AT&T decided I couldn't have DSL over my POTS line, so I switched to a local reseller (who still uses ATT copper). The total cost was about a wash (~$90/mo) and the service package slightly better. The reseller (known as Omsoft.com) employed a company called Sonic Telecom, for apparently both voice and IP connectivity.

Back in April the reseller warned me they were raising prices for IP service by $10. Then, out of the blue, in July the price for voice service went up by $20. The reseller claimed this was the work of Sonic Telecom, Sonic Telecom claims it's the doing of the reseller. Since it's a voice service, the reseller says "take it to the public utilities commission".

At first I was somewhat steamed, but going over the bill, it appears that voice charges now come to about $45/mo including unlimited domestic long distance (which I seldom use).

6 Mb/s DSL plus eight static IPs come to about $80/mo.

The question is: Does this seem unreasonable? Perhaps more to the point, is there an obviously better way to obtain comparable service? I want to keep the POTS line, on the thesis that "lowest tech is best" so long as it does the job. POTS does, for me.

One other thing: Does anybody know of a _readable_ description of how the onholy troika (copper-owner, reseller and long-distance carrier) are harnessed to one another? Thanks for reading, and any ideas!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Traditional wireline POTS is going the way of the dodo bird. At least one of the major telcos has filed for bankruptcy and the rest are jacking up prices as fast as state PUCs will allow. $45 does not sound too bad, but it's only going up.

Your DSL service OTOH is a right ripoff. It doesn't even qualify as high speed internet under federal standards. Most cablecos offer internet voice bundles. You might check what is available by you - and you can keep your existing phone number.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.