WRT54G Dropping Out

I found it did that all the time as well.

I'd have to reset it's IP address and ipconfig /renew all the time.

Ever since I switched to a different manufacturer for my routing needs, I haven't had a connection dropped.

I wish I could have figured out why it kept getting cut off from my cable though. It was frustrating as heck.

Reply to
Bryce
Loading thread data ...

Damn, now I think I recall reading somewhere that Linksys was good until Cisco bought them. I have same probs - see my ("avalanche") recent posts here on WRT54G.

-Brad

Reply to
Avalanche

New Linksys WRT54G drops out every 15 to 20 minutes from broadband cable connection. No problem when it is bypassed. At times the desktop PC needs rebooting (Windows XP Pofessional). Is there anything I missed in the configuration setup?

Appreciate your help Mark Zak

Reply to
Mark Zak

I like that. Perception is everything. Cisco has done absolutely NOTHING to Linksys since 2003. It's run almost completely independently of Cisco by the original management. The general mangler and marketing dictator are the original founders of Linksys, Victor and Janie Tsao.

Drivel: I had an appointment at my dentist yesterday for some routine xrays and cleaning. While the dental hygienist is scraping and chiseling, the dentist starts asking me computer questions. This is a new challenge for me as I've never had to expound on technology with someone's fist in my mouth. I don't think I was particularly eloquent. When the ordeal was over, I reluctantly agreed to look at his problem.

He had purchased a brand new Toshblah laptop and Netgear WGR614 wireless router. Of course, it was setup wrong with double NAT so it didn't see the rest of the network very well. I updated the firmware and configured it as an access point instead of a router.

Then, I discovered he had terrible coverage. The WGR614 was across the room, about 10ft away, and it was dropping out badly. I thought he had a defective WGR614 until I looked out the window and noticed another one of my customers, an alarm and security company. It seems they have 6 security cameras, all running 2.4Ghz video, using every possible channel. They were wondering where the funny lines on the TV screen were coming from. Fortunately, it was suppose to be a temporary test and the cameras will be delivered to their customer shortly. They turned the cameras off and the WGR614 acted normally.

Moral: It's easy to blame the wireless hardware for problems caused by interference.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

When Cisco bought Linksys, the existing hardware felt a disturbance in the force and stopped working properly?

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.