wireless newbie in distress. problems keeping a connection

Did you update the firmware? That specific model was updated on jan 3rd..You may have one that was built before that update. (fixes for xp2 disco's also). The linksys website has installers/info etc. (sorry typed the whole update thing before, but am getting ready for a nap and am too tired)...

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

the router is linksys WRT54G

and the nic is a Linksys Wireless-G 802.11 Portable USB Adapter

I also have the nic connected to about 15 ft of usb2 extension cable so I can get as close to the router as possible.

I get 4 bars out of 5 of strength with a signal of 'very good' yet everytime I initiate a high speed internet download, or a local lan download I instantly get disconnected. it also randomly disconnects on its own when im not downloading. sometimes loading a webpage causes it to disconnect too but usually it can handle that.

any suggestions are apreciated.

Reply to
wd

also, incase it is relevant, the linksys router is setup as a gateway and connected to my speedstream 2602 router. all wired computers connect directly to the speedstream and only the wireless computer connects to the linksys.

Reply to
wd

I tried that, appeared to fix it at first but then it started disconnecting again.

However, I started moving usb plugs around with the idea of trying a different slot, and when I disconnected the keyboard and heard windows make the noise, (and did manual disconnect/reconnect testing) I realized that windows isnt making that sound because the link to the router disconnected, its making it because the usb card has disconnected. (ie, windows xp makes a noise when usb devices of any kind are plugged in or unplugged, and not because the internet access was just lost like I originally thought)

so, its in a different slot right now and so far is working fine, now the question I gotto figure out is, is/was the card disconnecting from the computer, or was the computer disconnecting from it.

Reply to
wd

disconnecting

disconnected,

are there any options for energy saving besides in the control panel/power management or whatever its called? I think everything in there is turned off but ill double check when im next door again where that machine is.

Reply to
wd

I presume you have things like energy save turned off , xp does turn off network cards and maybe usb unless you tell it otherwise , in particular gig nics I have found .

Reply to
atec

System manager /nic/ untick allow system to turn of this device to save power .

Reply to
atec

Sveasoft has Satori (free, with no documentation or support) and Alchemy, which you pay for and can get docs and support as long as you do not redistribute it.

In any case, the 900% is how much you can increase the WRT54G's transmit power, but that does *not* equate to a 900% increase in range, or for that matter necessarily any range increase at all!

A 6 dB, or 4 times increase in power, relates to just about doubling the distance a signal will go, so the transmit range of a WRT54G can be increased maybe 2 or 3 times. Unfortunately the receive signal is not improved, and a client that is too far away will still be too far away!

I use Satori firmware. I've been setting mine to either 56 milliwatts (3 dB more) or 84 milliwatts (a 4.8 dB increase). It could be set as high as 254 milliwatts, which is a 9.6 dB increase (and is where the 900% claim above comes from), but that is a lot of extra heat for the chip to dissipate and provides no likely benefit; hence it unnecessarily risks damaging the chip.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Reply to
tzar

Reply to
tzar

Hmmm... I see that Alchemy 1.0 was released a few days ago, and is now free for download too. (I've just done that, but have not tried it yet.)

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Reply to
tzar

What is 20$ in dollars?

Barry

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.