Wireless hacks

Like I said, only hackers drink the cheap stuff at Starbucks. (I prefer hot chocolate). The really dedicated hackers order tea and coffee. They pocket the tea bag for later use at home, and use the hot water to dilute and extend the coffee. One cup can then last all afternoon.

For this you need a coffee shop environment? Couldn't you do this at home?

My suspicions about you are confirmed.

Clients don't broadcast, so are you using the Blackberry as a WAP or cellular router? Having an AP (or cellular router) broadcast is not necessary to get a connection. The client only needs to know the SSID of the AP in order to connect.

Known problem, but with the client, not the AP. The default behavior is for the client to associate with the list of known saved SSID's before doing a probe request. Somewhat faster and less traffic. The problem is that it needs to belch the SSID of the saved SSID's while attempting to associate. The list can be collecting, giving your ex-wife or former girlfriend a clue where you have been hanging. You can disarm this feature in various ways. No clue on the Blackberry, but in Windoze XP, you just turn off the "connect automatically" mis-feature.

The cammo shorts are usually worn by those that do their laundry infrequently. The stains don't show.

Unrelated drivel: I got convinced into designing some more ADS-B AMOS/Franklin derivative antennas. Here's an inverted AMOS-3 that will be part of a 4 antenna array. Note that with 4 of these, at 200 ohms each, I don't need the 4:1 balun:

Works nicely (on paper) but the insulator is much longer than the normal AMOS antenna.

Ignore this one as it's totally screwed up (it was late and I was tired):

I'll fix it after Field Day.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Shadow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

By "changes the settings" you mean what exactly? Changes the MAC address it associates with? If that's the case how does a user keep a connection if the signal strength drops off from one AP-windows will auto connect to another MAC and you lose your connection. Will it also create a new entry in the Registry for a new NIC card in any situation? Also, have no idea what you mean (do you?) by "flip of the switch".

Reply to
JamesK181

Hey, I do my experiments in the field, since I would be snooped in the field. Dr. Diana Ross said "Ain't nothing like the real thing baby." Also, I like black coffee. My theory is the more complicated the drink, the bigger the jerk!

I suspect the blackberry has the probe option for connecting to stealth WAPs. Otherwise, it seems like a bad idea to broadcast your wifi er um hookups.

Regarding ADSB, I have a j-pole cut and measured for 1090. You need to be omni for ADSB. Also you do want some overhead reception.

I have an inverted AMOS that I tweaked to 300 ohms with the optimizer. The idea was to parallel six and get it down to 50 ohmsm and put the AMOS in a circle or six sided reflector to get omni. I never could figure out how to get the transmission line hook up done in nec2. I also gave the inverted amos a slight electrical tilt since most of the targets will be higher than the antenna, not at the horizon.

Funny thing about the Kinentics stock antenna. Is it 1700MHz or so. They must peddle some GSM antenna with the box. The homemade j-pole is better than the DPD so called high gain antenna, which I suspect is a coax colinear.

The j-pole does about 250miles. More gain would be better though. Often the trails are not smooth at that distance, indicating missed hits. About 300 miles is the theoretical limit due to line of sight and the altitudes (target and observer).

Reply to
miso

Yes , windows creates a new entry if you plug in a new card. New MAC address and all. And yes, it will connect to the strongest point, and change IP settings though DHCP. Hence "changing the settings"

If the hotspot is open the guy is probably has some kind of mac filtering. So he could easily blacklist your mac. Or he could flip the switch if the only customers there were drinking the same cup of coffee for hours. Literally flip the switch to off. Then the PCs would try to hook up to the next strongest signal. But the first poster gave no idea of the setup. So it's just guessing. []'s PS I rarely use Windows for wifi "research". My headers are munged. Posting this with Pan 1.3.5/Gnome. So take it with a pinch of salt.

Reply to
Shadow

Shadow wrote in news:iu25l1$1q0$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

If XP, for example, changes it's MAC AP association based on signal strength, is this not a hazard for hijacking the XP user's browsing session? One second he is connected to AP-1 and the next he is associated with stronger AP/MAC of cracker. Seems to me that cracker can fire up a stronger radio and re-route all the XP connections to his AP? I am sure I am missing something here or not understanding it correctly.

Haha, don't worry we will ;-)

Reply to
cabbagebyanyothername

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, cabbagebyanyothername chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Recent versions of Windows [since XP SP2? 3?] won't connect to an open AP without warning the user they're doing something potentially risky. So the hacker will have to convince the user to connect somehow and then ignore the warning. Calling the network "Bob's Coffee - Free Wifi!" would probably do the trick. Some wireless managers that come with wifi adaptors may not give such warnings.

IME XP isn't very good at hopping to a stronger AP unbidden. This may vary by chipset and driver, however.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.