Using my old SMC to give free internet to people

I have 'SMC7004VWBR'

formatting link
AP. It's about time to retire it, because it only provides WEP and there is no more support for it. I'm getting a new AP that supports WPA2 and faster standard.

With this outdated AP I want to give people access to free internet. I want this internet access to be pretty slow when downloading from actual internet, somewhere around 28.8 kbps or something similar, and fast when downloading off my inside network. The idea is to have them redirected to my intranet site whenever they type address into the address bar. That way I could advertise my services, but still let them browse the net inside a frame, or something similar.

My question is, what will I need to implement the redirecting part of this project? I have NT 4.0 Server with IIS, the whole thing. How to make it so that all HTTP traffic from this AP is taken only to my website all the time and no where else. Also, how to block all other traffic, and how to make it slow when they want to browse the internet, so they don't suck off of me?

I hope you understanding my idea.

Second is, I have these two antennas on the back of AP. Could I modify AP with connectors so that I could lay cable on either side of my building towards external antennas? What will be my range if I install good antenna on the outside?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
freeNT
Loading thread data ...

thread:

formatting link
Often one of the antennas is receive only. You would have to read the manual to determie if this is true.

Reply to
miso

On the SMC 7004 family, they are "diversity" antennas. I removed one, and put a reflector on the other, to improve coverage in my home. One reflector and one stock antenna caused the diversity to toggle poorly.

If there were two external antennas, routed to opposite sides of the building, they would probably both function fine to those sides of the building. Sector or panel directional antennas might improve that. The problem arises when your client can communicate with a good antenna and a poor antenna, and toggles between them, instead of staying with the good one. Isolation between the two fields of coverage should eliminate the hunting.

Reply to
dold

But the unit may function as "diversity receive", i.e. only one antenna is used in transmitting. MIMO would have the ability to receive and transmit on multiple antennas. [I know on my PCMCIA wifi card, only one port can transmit. I've been thinking of setting up war driving with an antenna on each side of the car since kismet doesn't transmit.]

Maybe Jeff can chime in here. I'd certainly like to learn how to provide free wifi without opening up my network to hacking. There is the remote chance that someone would use the system for sending spam. While spam is bad, having your IP blacklisted is worse.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.