Usable Range

I've done some searching in this group and found a lot of useful and interesting information such as the information at

formatting link
I understand networking but really nothing about wireless. What I'd like to do is the following.

Use a Linksys WRT54G to connect a couple of houses together for some temporary access. These houses are in south Florida, 70s vintage, concrete block construction (CBS), less then 200 feet apart and nothing in between except for the occasional car driving down the street or in the driveway. Does this seem marginally doable or quite doable ? Or will I likely need to purchase additional hardware or set up some sort of antenna such as described at freeantennas.com ? Also with the WRT54G will I be able to block all other connections besides my own ?

And what is the real difference between the WAP54G and the WRT54G ? Thank you

Jon

Reply to
fornews
Loading thread data ...

I was thinking of attaching just one WRT54G at his end, where the DSL comes in, allow him to connect wired and me act as a user across the street with my LapTop. Not trying to set up separate networks just be a user from across the street. So it seems, from what you're saying this should be quite possible.

And then I guess the main difference for a WAP54G is to connect, for example, 2 seperate subnets ?

Jon

Reply to
fornews

vintage,

hardware

The WRT54G acts as an access point and is designed to let clients talk to it but not talk wireless with other access points. The WAP54G on the other hand can act as an access point, bridge, repeater or an access point client. If you want to give access to a neighbor then you should use the WAP54G in bridge mode. Bare in mind, this bridges 2 wired networks together and you cant use wireless (laptops etc) unless you add and access point to his or your network. Or you can use the WAP54g on your end as an access point (Bridge) and the neighbor will have his in AP client mode. In this way you can use wireless but he is just wired. In either case, 200 feet is rathere easy to accomplish. If you can see his window from yours you might just use an indoor directional antenna on each end.

Reply to
Airhead

According to Linksys support the WRT54G is good for about 100 - 150 feet. Is this Linksys being conservative or is this more realistic then the 200 - 300 feet I've read from others ?

I'm hoping to be able to share bandwidth between two houses for a temporary basis about one week and if anyone can provide some assurance this should work I would be much grateful. I don't mind spending some time building a parabolic antenna if that would ensure success I just don't have a lot of time to spend tweaking.

Jon

Reply to
fornews

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.