TCP/IP broken for Windows Media Center (XP)

This is not really a wireless issue; however my posting on comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip didn't yield any responses. As I value the comments here, this seems like a good alternative.

Something happened with an HP dv5215us notebook. Suddenly for no apparent reason, both the wired and wireless interfaces stopped being able to get an IP address through DHCP, and always get that strange Alternate Private IP. The wireless card appears to connect to the AP, but I cannot be sure that it has authenticated correctly. I have done the following to try to resolve the problem:

1. Booted a Knoppix CD and verified that the wired ethernet interface is working correctly.

1. Disabled all firewalls.

2. Cleared the arp cache with a 'netsh interface ip delete arpcache' command.

1. Deleted the network interfaces in the device manager and rebooted to reinstall them.

2. Reset the TCP/IP parameters with a "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" command.

I would appreciate any further commands to run, or any further data from my machine that is needed.

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger
Loading thread data ...

Larry Finger hath wroth:

comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip

good alternative.

Groan. Water seeks its own lowest level.

What do you mean sometimes? Is there something that happens after running some program? I've had XP networking go nuts after going in and out of standby multiple times.

always get that

Is the "strange" IP address 169.254.xxx.xxx ?? If so, that's what Windoze defaults to when it can't get an address via DCHP.

resolve the problem:

Oh, it's a "card". Might it be a PCMCIA, CardBus, or PCIExpress Card? Does this card have a manufacturer and a number?

working correctly.

Good. Nothing has failed.

Do you have more than one firewall? If so, kindly disarm one of them.

Try: arp -d * which is easier to remember. Does the same thing.

Well, plug-n-play is still working.

That's usually the last resort. The problem is that if you have a personal firewall, such as Norton or McAfee installed, it will break the installation requiring a reinstall. It will also remove all the added LSP (layered service provider) entries, which will break many applications.

machine that is needed.

Did steps 1->5 do any good? Does it work now?

I have no idea what to do next. The problem I have is with your one word "sometimes". This implies that it sometimes works. My crystal ball points to some application breaking things. It's not in the wireless or wired device drivers as both apparently fail. Just about any add-on program that installs itself into the LSP networking pretzel may cause things to break. That includes wireless client managers, network diagnostic tools, VPN shims, remote control programs, VNC, browser add-ons, and various debugging programs from card manufacturers. In addition, if you have some persistent spyware installed, it will reinstall itself in the LSP when you reboot. Hard to tell from here.

My wild guess(tm) is you should approach this problem as if you had a virus/trojan/spyware problem and look for extraneous junk in the LSP. I notice that you didn't mention scanning for viruses or spyware. Do it, especially if you haven't bothered to stay up to date with Windoze updates.

HijackThis LSP editor

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip

good alternative.

SomeTHING, not sometimes. The breakage is solid. It never works now, not even in Safe Mode with Networking..

always get that

Yes, it is.

resolve the problem:

It is a Broadcom BCM4318 mini-PCI card. The ethernet is a Realtek RTL8139 built into the motherboard.

working correctly.

This computer had AOL 9, which has been uninstalled. The built-in Windoze filewall was then disabled.

Thanks for the tip.

machine that is needed.

No, otherwise I wouldn't ask.

It has all of the Windows updates till about a week ago when it broke. Nothing new had been installed just before it broke. Just before I uninstalled AOL 9, I did complete spyware and virus scans that were clean. Of the LSP stuff you mention above, the only things that might be there are browser add-ons and the card debugging stuff.

That is a cool tool. There were some AOL pieces left, but removing them didn't help. The log follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2 Scan saved at 1:39:05 PM, on 7/31/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Boot mode: Normal

Running processes: C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\smss.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winlogon.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\services.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\lsass.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\Ati2evxx.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\svchost.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\svchost.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\spoolsv.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\eHome\\ehRecvr.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\eHome\\ehSched.exe C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\LightScribe\\LSSrvc.exe C:\\Program Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\Shared\\hpqwmiex.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dllhost.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\Ati2evxx.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\Explorer.EXE C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI Control Panel\\atiptaxx.exe C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_06\\bin\\jusched.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\wscntfy.exe C:\\Program Files\\Hp\\HP Software Update\\HPWuSchd2.exe C:\\Program Files\\Synaptics\\SynTP\\SynTPEnh.exe C:\\Program Files\\HP\\QuickPlay\\QPService.exe C:\\Program Files\\HPQ\\Quick Launch Buttons\\EabServr.exe C:\\Program Files\\Real\\RealPlayer\\RealPlay.exe C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe C:\\PROGRA~1\\SBCLIG~1\\SMARTB~1\\MotiveSB.exe C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqimzone.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\wuauclt.exe F:\\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Main,Search Bar =

formatting link
- HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Main,Default_Page_URL =
formatting link
- HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext =
formatting link
- HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1 O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat 6.0\\Reader\\ActiveX\\AcroIEHelper.dll O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_06\\bin\\ssv.dll O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI Control Panel\\atiptaxx.exe" O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_06\\bin\\jusched.exe O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\\Program Files\\Hp\\HP Software Update\\HPWuSchd2.exe O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\\Program Files\\Synaptics\\SynTP\\SynTPEnh.exe O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [QPService] "C:\\Program Files\\HP\\QuickPlay\\QPService.exe" O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\\Program Files\\HPQ\\Quick Launch Buttons\\EabServr.exe /Start O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [Cpqset] C:\\Program Files\\HPQ\\Default Settings\\cpqset.exe O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [RecGuard] C:\\Windows\\SMINST\\RecGuard.exe O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [RealTray] C:\\Program Files\\Real\\RealPlayer\\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe"

-atboottime O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [WildTangent CDA] "C:\\Program Files\\WildTangent\\Apps\\CDA\\GameDrvr.exe" /startup "C:\\Program Files\\WildTangent\\Apps\\CDA\\cdaEngine0500.dll" O4 - HKLM\\..\\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\\PROGRA~1\\SBCLIG~1\\SMARTB~1\\MotiveSB.exe O4 - Global Startup: HP Photosmart Premier Fast Start.lnk = C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqthb08.exe O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_06\\bin\\ssv.dll O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_06\\bin\\ssv.dll O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\Shdocvw.dll O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=

formatting link
- DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Common\\Yinsthelper.dll O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) -
formatting link
- Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\Ati2evxx.exe O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\\Program Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\Shared\\hpqwmiex.exe O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation

- C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\InstallShield\\Driver\\11\\Intel 32\\IDriverT.exe O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\LightScribe\\LSSrvc.exe

-- End of file - 4677 bytes

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

I found the problem using a tool called LSPFix , which showed that Winsock2 was messed up. A Microsoft help page told me how to reinstall it and all is well now.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Recompile your colonel.

Reply to
Mark W

If you will loan me your copy of the XP source, I will be happy to do so.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

which showed that

all is well now.

I had a similar problem where the dhcp client service didn't start sometimes just had to kickit from the services menu

Reply to
Neuromancer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.