sharing wireless network with neighbor

My uncle who lives 2 houses down said I could use his wireless internet. The problem is the signal only reaches halfway through my house and my computer is on the half that doesn't get a signal. He has a Dl-624 wireless router. I've tried many antennas and none of them have worked. What is the easiest and least expensive way I can make the signal reach to the other half of my house without using antennas?

Reply to
sportsfan522
Loading thread data ...

| My uncle who lives 2 houses down said I could use his wireless | internet. The problem is the signal only reaches halfway through my | house and my computer is on the half that doesn't get a signal. He has | a Dl-624 wireless router. I've tried many antennas and none of them | have worked. What is the easiest and least expensive way I can make the | signal reach to the other half of my house without using antennas?

Rotate house 180 degrees :-)

Have you verified it really works when on the proper side of the house?

Any real solution is probably going to cost. One possibility is a remote antenna (you do need to have _some_ kind of antenna) connected by a run of coax, if you have a connector to attach it to. Or else run ethernet around the house and put your wireless device over where the signal is and bring the cat5 back to the computer.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Perhaps adding a directional antenna ? or an ap on the other side of the house .

Reply to
atec77

You can still ask your uncle (if possible) to move that Dl-624 wireless router closer to the window where he can see your house ( some times it works)

by the way, how far the two houses?

otherwise you have to go to an antenna at the roof of your uncle house or use signal repeater.....

Naim

formatting link

sportsfan522 wrote:

Reply to
Panda

Reply to
sportsfan522

Thi$ will co$t you, but consider a wireless AP in bridge mode. Then a second hooked to the ether net port 'retransmits the signal within your house. Note the this will cost part in the beginning. BTW you can of course avoid the second AP and just run a wire to the computer.

Off the shelf stuff maybe a around $100 (US)

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

On 19 Jul 2006 16:11:39 -0700, "sportsfan522" wrote in :

D-Link DWL-G710 Wireless High-Speed Range Extender placed at the side of your house with signal might be enough. $70 at newegg.com

Reply to
John Navas

Does anybody think that a HWREG1 Wireless-G Range Extender will work?

John Navas wrete:

Reply to
sportsfan522

You might want to try capturing more of the signal. See:

formatting link
If you want to increase the sig. sent at your uncle's. See:
formatting link
maybe both............

Reply to
Don L n FTW

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.