Question: Switching Wireless Routers

Newbie asking: Does changing routers alter Windows network setup?

My Netgear wireless G router is working fine. But range is short (rated at about 50 feet).

Recently I picked up at a yard sale an Actiontec router that is distributed to customers of the Verizon phone company and others. It's a big box (about triple the size of the Netgear) with a huge antenna. I'd like to see if it could deliver the signal to my workshop in a barn on the property.

My question: Does a router have any influence on IP address settings in the manner of a modem - or can the Actiontec be tested safely with the Netgear being replaced if the signal does not carry as desired?

My current setup is Motorola modem out to WAN on a VOIP adaptor and then ethernet out to Netgear router. For example:

formatting link
- Just signed up with Lingo after Sunrocket VOIP went backrupt.)

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
pixsnap
Loading thread data ...

" snipped-for-privacy@juno.com" hath wroth:

Yes. The router basically runs the network. It assigns IP addresses via DHCP and controls access to the internet from the network. Change the router and these will change.

Does your Netgear wireless G router have a model number and hardware revision number, or are you simply assuming that this is inconsequential?

Any particular model number?

Well, that's easy. You don't have to connect to the internet to see if it works. Just plug it in and turn it on. You should pickup the SSID of the router with a laptop or portable computah. Once you have that, take a walk and see how far you get. If you wanna see if there's some hope of reliable communications, just ping the router continuously. You should also try this with your Netgear turned off so there's no mutual interference. No need to connect either router to the internet for this test.

The settings in the router have a huge effect on your unspecified DSL, satellite, or cable internet connection. The type of connection and often a login/password must be specified to satisfy the ISP. Lacking a clue who that might be or how you connect, I cannot offer any specific advice. Punch the reset button on the Actiontec, and just plug it in. Who know, you might be lucky and it just works.

Ok, it's a clue. Motorola only makes cable modems so you must have a cable ISP. Damn, I'm good at this detective work. Chances are good that you can just set the WAN(internet) connection in the Actiontec to DHCP and it will just work.

Since the Lingo modem goes BEFORE the router, it is unlikely to be affected by anything you do in the router (unless you do something disgusting like assign the router the same IP address as the Lingo modem).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.