Problems with Linksys router/SMC modem network

My network is set up as follows

ISP -- SMC modem/access point -- Linksys wireless router -- PC (Win XP)

My problem is that the PC connection is lost intermitently and frequently. I suspect an addressing issue because executing

ipconfig/release >ipconfig/renew

at the command line always restores connectivity immediately.

Here is the LAN description provided on the SMC modem/accesspoint administrative page:

IP address

Private Address pool

From 10.1.10.10

To 10.1.10.199

PPTP IP Address pool

From 10.1.10.200

To 10.1.10.229

Here is the LAN description provided on the Linksys router's admin page:

local IP address

Start IP address

Number of addresses 50

DHCP Address range:

192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149

DHCP server is enabled on both SMC device and Linksys device, and both devices are using subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

My thought is that the loss of connectivity arises as a result of an addressing conflict which occurs when the SMC device's DHCP server attempts to assign an IP to either the PC or the Linksys device.

Honestly, I don't even know if theses two machines should be connected, given that the network part of thier IP's are 192 and 10, respectively.

I investigated the possibility of putting the SMC modem/access point into bridge mode, but I don't see that that's an option.

Any suggestions on what you think might be causing the loss of connection and/or how I might fix it? Thanks!

smithch

Reply to
brooklynbridge508
Loading thread data ...

On 16 Jun 2006 10:34:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

Actual model numbers? Firmware versions? Is the SMC a router? Actual symptoms (exactly)?

That's suggests a DHCP lease renewal problem.

Ah, the SMC is a router.

Bad idea. While that can be made to work, it's best to have only *one* DHCP server on a small network. Also, the Linksys should be configured as a wireless *access point*, not a router, or you'll have Double NAT, and that's A Bad Thing.

See How To below to follow my advice above.

Reply to
John Navas

Thank you very kindly!

Reply to
smithch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.