ubiquiti cards

I now have two Ubiquiti 802.11 a/b/g cards in my grubby little hands.

formatting link
They do seem more sensitive than the laptops built-in Broadcom 4319 unit. (Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1470 DualBand WLAN rev-02 to be exact.) While the broadcom sees 3 other systems, the Ubiquiti sees 8. Unfortunately the Broadcom doesn't give me valid signal strength and noise numbers so I can't easily tell how many much more sensitive the card is.

Now the question is how best to get one of these Ubiquiti cards used at the access point end of things. I was wondering if I could stick one of their cards in a spare computer and use that for the access point. Ubiquiti has a mini-pci and an cardbus version with roughly similar specs. The problem seems to be that mini-pci is "3.3 volts" and normal PCI is "5 volts". I assume the issue is both the power supply voltage and the signaling voltage on the bus. Did anyone here ever try to stick a mini-pci wireless card into their pci via an adaptor? Here is one that google found for me:

formatting link
The part that is ominous is: "Not recommended for old system boards or for use together with 5V PCI cards." That seems to be saying one can't put this into any computer that has other cards in the pci slots.

Would a generic pci-cardbus adaptor be safer? Any recommendations?

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
Loading thread data ...

Do you know thats is super range cards and work with long range link more than 20-30 miles ???

For home use try normal cards with good sensivity like a Orinoco or prism -94dB

Reply to
::WiReFree::

I'd be pleasantly surprised to read that someone has gotten a pair of those cards to work over a 20-30 mile link. How did they do it? A pair of 24dbi parabolic antennas and tweaking the 802.11 b/g timers to allow for a longer signal propagation time? Any links?

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.