Problems Connecting my new DELL Laptop to my Wireless Network

Hello,

I recently purchased a new DELL laptop, and I am having problems connecting it to my wireless network. I was wondering if someone had a similar issue and can provide me with some guidance.

My old laptop was an HP Pavilion zv5000 with Microsoft Windows XP Professional. This computer has no problems connecting to my wireless network. I just:

1) Click on the wireless icon at the bottom-right of the screen. 2) Click on "View Available Wireless Networks". 3) Click on my wireless network (ie: MyNetwork). 4) I am prompted: The network "MyNetwork" requires a network key (also called a WEP key or WPA key). A network key helps prevent unknown intruders from connecting to this network. 5) I type in the key: Network key: ******** 6) Click connect.

And I am able to surf the web wirelessly.

On my new DELL Inspirion 1525 Laptop, which has Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English

1) Open a Web Browser. 2) I get the error, Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. Diagnose connection problems. 3) View available wireless networks. 4) I click on "MyNetwork" (so at least it sees that it exists), and click on Connect. 5) I get the error "Windows cannot connect to MyNetwork". It goes on to say: "Wireless association to this network failed. Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point."

I have a Linksys Broadband Router with 2 phone ports - Model Number: RTP300

When I connect the yellow cable into this router, and the other end into my new DELL laptop, I am able to connect to the internet no problem.

Does anyone know what the problem is, or what I need to do to resolve it?

Thanks so much... Sam.

Reply to
samadams_2006
Loading thread data ...

1. Did you install Vista SP1 ? If not, you should. Make sure you also install the "optional" Vista updates. These are NOT installed automagically.
  2. There are "issues" with Vista DHCP. See if any of the following help:
  3. There are some rather dense, but useful Vista wireless diagnostics included. See:

If you enable logging, you might be able to see at what point it's failing. Search the above document for "wireless trace logs".

1. Verify that your RTP300 VoIP router has the latest firmware installed.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hello again,

I just found out that the actual router I have is a Netgear model # WGT624 v2

I called up DELL, and my new PC is working properly, but said that the problem looks like I am using WEP, and Vista does not support this. He said I might need new firmware for this router.

Well, when I tried out with a friend's computer, which is also a DELL but running Windows NT, it would not connect wirelessly to my router either. So it appears this is not just a Vista issue.

I wonder if there is a problem with the Dell Wireless1395 WLAN Mini- Card (my friend's is Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card) connecting to this router?

Thanks

firmware upgrade

1-888-638-4327

cannot upgrade to vista laptop.

WEP key - DELL said this would not work with VIsta.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com pw: netgear model # WGT624 v2

Online Support Submissions

Click here to log a new online technical submission request.

Reference Number: #7054521

The reference number is 7054555, a representative will reply to you shortly.

Reply to
samadams_2006

Are you supplying the WEP secret via passphrase or as a hexadecimal key. If the former, be aware that there is more than one way to convert a passphrase to a key. If the AP and the client are using different ways, then no connection.

I'm sure you already know this, but WEP encryption can be broken in just a few minutes. If you can, switch to WPA.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Check the firmware version. It should be 4.2.11. See:

Baloney. Vista supports WEP. For example:

However, there are problems using WEP. There are problems converting from the ASCII WEP key to the Hex equivalent. Different clients do it differently. To be sure that WEP works, always use the Hex key.

Another WEP problem is that it can be cracked quite easily and rapidly. It offers little added security. Use WPA or WPA2.

Might? Dig out the firmware version. If it's not 4.2.11, download and install the updated firmware.

Also, check your settings:

If you're using WEP, and he also used the ASCII key, there's a good chance that it also won't work.

Actually, there are updates to most of the drivers for the various Dell wireless devices. Go to the Dell support page for your new laptop and check for the latest downloads for your hardware.

Dell is wrong, or you misunderstood the answer. Go unto Google and inscribe "Vista WEP" and see the rather large number of postings.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.