Problem with IOGear GPSR01U Wireless USB Print Server

Hi!

I recently bought a IOGear GPSR01U Wireless USB Print Server, which I cant seem to configure correctly. When I switch the device to diagnostic mode, I am able to create a wireless peer-to-peer connection to it from my computer. This allows me to configure the device using PSAdmin. I change to ESSID to my LAN ESSID, and also configure the device to obtain an ip address from a dhcp server. After this I switch back to non-diagnostic mode, reset the device, and expect it to obtain a LAN ip from my wireless access point (adsl router). Unfortunately the device does not obtain an ip address from the access point :( Does anyone have any idea what I might be missing/doing wrong?

regards Thomas Prehn

Reply to
prehn
Loading thread data ...

Don't have DHCP assign it an address, just pick one outside the 50 or so that your DHCP server on the AP is issuing and use that. For example, I have my router DHCP server issue IPs from 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.150, Yes I know 51, but it lets me get away with it so I don't fight . For the print server I would manually configure it to say 192.168.1.77 (note it is NOT between 100 and 150). This way you are ensured no IP conflicts (assumes AP is at 192.168.1.1). Once this is done, start browsing the netowrk for the device, you now know the IP. Point is on a 'dumb' device like this you need to manually assign the IP. Give us a shout back if this doesn't get things going.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I've tried to assign an ip address manually to the PS - unfortunately still without success. My AP has ip 10.0.0.1, and its DHCP pool is configured from 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.32. Therefore I gave the PS 10.0.0.70 with gateway 10.0.0.1. From my PC (10.0.0.2) i can ping the AP, but not the PS. The device is still not found in PSAdmin, unless I change it to diagnostics mode and connect directly to it.

Reply to
prehn

Are you sure you CAN ping a "dumb" device like a print server?

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

It's only the ICMP protocol that responds using IP as the transport, it doesn't need any other software. Response to ping (ICMP) *is* part of the IP stack feature set.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

In that case, sounds like a job for the vendor support line.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.